zany Castile soap with pictures

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastel

Reaction score
IMG_3104.jpeg
Hello everyone
I would like to share my experience with zany Castile soap..Ok my notes:📍I don’t know if my skin really hates olive oil, as it dries it terribly, especially my hands (my skin has become dry since I turned forty years old)* I read or saw information somewhere that virgin olive oil does not cause dryness, and virgin coconut oil does not dry out. Unlike refined oils, it causes dryness. Is this true?Note that I used refined olive oil.📍The hardness of the soap is great, and its foam is the same as for olive oil soap.📍I left him to be treated for 3 months I think 📍I adhered to the instructions 👍🏻📍I'd like to make it again with organic extra virgin olive oil - I currently have 3 liters + extra fat 5% to 8% - to see if that makes a difference.

The soap looks very nice, so good job there!

I personally don't like much olive oil at all in soap, and not more than 20% coconut oil. It doesn't matter whether the oil is refined, virgin, or organic; in soap, too much OO or too much CO is very drying to my skin.

But everyone's skin is so different, so it's good to experiment to see what works for you. :)

Thanks for sharing your Castile soap experience. It looks nice! Yeah, virgin oils are generally gentler on skin than refined ones. Looking forward to hearing how your next batch with organic olive oil turns out!

I personally don't like much olive oil at all in soap, and not more than 20% coconut oil. It doesn't matter whether the oil is refined, virgin, or organic; in soap, too much OO or too much CO is very drying to my skin.

But everyone's skin is so different, so it's good to experiment to see what works for you. :)

Thank you
Just like you, my skin cannot tolerate more than 20% coconut oil Can you share with me the percentage of olive oil you like?

Thanks for sharing your Castile soap experience. It looks nice! Yeah, virgin oils are generally gentler on skin than refined ones. Looking forward to hearing how your next batch with organic olive oil turns out!
Thank you
I will definitely share the experience with you
In fact, this leads me to think about how they recommend Castile soap for children 🤨 It is very dry and harsh

But once those oils come in contact with lye, they are no longer oil... they are broken into fatty acids (which become salts) and unsaponifiables. That's why coconut oil can be considered moisturizing in the oil form, but is the exact opposite of that in saponified form.

In fact, this leads me to think about how they recommend Castile soap for children 🤨 It is very dry and harsh
For some people, it is not drying at all. My dear friends loves the Bastile soap I make, with 80% OO, 20% CO, and goat milk. Just the opposite of me. ;)

Can you share with me the percentage of olive oil you like?
If it is a soap for my own house, I generally don't use OO at all; I'll use RBO or HO sunflower oil instead. They are much less expensive than OO, and my skin likes them better. Usually my liquid oils are in the 20-30% range of my recipe. The exception is the Bastile soap I mentioned, above.

What really bothers me is that olive oil is available in my country in abundance, of high quality, and at excellent prices
I also don't like olive oil for my skin as a moisturizing oil that dries it out tooI will try replacing it with almond oil and maybe a little avocado because it is expensive for us

But once those oils come in contact with lye, they are no longer oil... they are broken into fatty acids (which become salts) and unsaponifiables. That's why coconut oil can be considered moisturizing in the oil form, but is the exact opposite of that in saponified form.

For some people, it is not drying at all. My dear friends loves the Bastile soap I make, with 80% OO, 20% CO, and goat milk. Just the opposite of me. ;)

If it is a soap for my own house, I generally don't use OO at all; I'll use RBO or HO sunflower oil instead. They are much less expensive than OO, and my skin likes them better. Usually my liquid oils are in the 20-30% range of my recipe. The exception is the Bastile soap I mentioned, above.
Well, it seems we share a disharmony with olive oil.I'm looking forward to trying it with goat's milk or buttermilk 👍🏻

Beautiful! I use this recipe almost exclusively because my skin is soooo sensitive. I cannot use coconut oil over 10% or I get dry, flaky, itchy, and hives. That said, some skin types don't do well with olive oil at all. They typically do better with high lard soaps, which are also gentle and less drying.

Where? I can find HO sunflower locally, but it's more expensive than olive oil and olive oil has literally doubled in price here in less than a year. As for RBO, I can't find any locally ANYWHERE to try.

Last edited:
Where? I can find HO sunflower locally, but it's more expensive than olive oil and olive oil has literally doubled in price here in less than a year. As for RBO, I can't find any locally ANYWHERE to try.
Have you tried a local restaurant supply store for RBO? The one closest to me doesn’t ever have it, but @Quilter99755 alerted me that the one in the next town over does. And @dibbles shared that Trader Joe’s has HO sunflower for a decent price.

Have you tried a local restaurant supply store for RBO? The one closest to me doesn’t ever have it, but @Quilter99755 alerted me that the one in the next town over does. And @dibbles shared that Trader Joe’s has HO sunflower for a decent price.
I'll check our local restaurant supply store today, but I doubt they carry RBO. Trader Joe's is a half hour drive to the closest big city for me and I hate city traffic..... But there's all natural locally owned store near there that I totally forgot about until you jogged my memory. I bet they'll have both! I'll check there next time I have a reason to drive into the city.

I just ordered a resupply of HO sunflower oil from Soapers Choice. @Servant4Christ be sure to check out prices on other soap ingredients at SC, too. They carry rice bran oil, Shea butter, and other oils as well as sodium lactate and beeswax. Check the FAQ on how to save on shipping. Like you, I am in the Northeast (MA) and just ordered 4 gallons of HO sunflower oil, which cost less with shipping included than I would pay at a local store.

I just ordered a resupply of HO sunflower oil from Soapers Choice. @Servant4Christ be sure to check out prices on other soap ingredients at SC, too. They carry rice bran oil, Shea butter, and other oils as well as sodium lactate and beeswax. Check the FAQ on how to save on shipping. Like you, I am in the Northeast (MA) and just ordered 4 gallons of HO sunflower oil, which cost less with shipping included than I would pay at a local store.
Thank you. I can get HO sunflower locally to try, but rice bran is literally nowhere around here. I'd rather buy a small quantity locally to try before buying larger quantities kwim

Back