White Spots ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMaking

Reaction score
I have made this recipe twice now, mixing at different temperatures. I seem to keep getting the same spots. I mixed this time at 105-10.

Recipe is made of Olive, Coconut, Palm and Shea Butter… along with three essential oil blends.

Can anybody tell me what the best way to avoid these spots is?

Attachments

• IMG_9837.jpeg
    IMG_9837.jpeg
    996.6 KB · Views: 0
If those are stearic spots (which they very well may be), then that comes from not heating the palm oil and shea butter to at least 165ºF before soaping with them. Both of those are higher in stearic acid, which tends to create those white spots if you don't heat them to that point. You can still let those fats cool down to your desired soaping temp, as long as it doesn't go much below 100ºF. One way to cool them off more quickly is to add your room-temp coconut oil, making sure it melts completely, and then your room-temp olive oil.

But I was curious if you added any titanium dioxide, kaolin clay, or other additives that might also be causing some white spots. If you can post your entire recipe, including additives, specific EOs, etc., that helps us narrow things down for you.

The other possibility that really concerns me is that these were some undissolved lye crystals. They kind of look that way in this photo. If so, that would make the soap unsafe to use. Did you thoroughly dissolve the lye crystals in at least an equal weight of water, before you mixed the lye solution with the oils?

If those are stearic spots (which they very well may be), then that comes from not heating the palm oil and shea butter to at least 165ºF before soaping with them. Both of those are higher in stearic acid, which tends to create those white spots if you don't heat them to that point. You can still let those fats cool down to your desired soaping temp, as long as it doesn't go much below 100ºF. One way to cool them off more quickly is to add your room-temp coconut oil, making sure it melts completely, and then your room-temp olive oil.

But I was curious if you added any titanium dioxide, kaolin clay, or other additives that might also be causing some white spots. If you can post your entire recipe, including additives, specific EOs, etc., that helps us narrow things down for you.

The other possibility that really concerns me is that these were some undissolved lye crystals. They kind of look that way in this photo. If so, that would make the soap unsafe to use. Did you thoroughly dissolve the lye crystals in at least an equal weight of water, before you mixed the lye solution with the oils?
I really appreciate your response. I have definitely not heated to 165. I will try this and pour a new test batch. I’ll post pictures once done :)

Does Coco Butter need to be heated to 165 as well?

Does Coco Butter need to be heated to 165 as well?
Sure does. That goes for any of the higher stearic fats like tallow, lard, most butters, palm oil, and something else I'm forgetting at the moment. Probably soy wax? ETA: Neem oil

Don't forget, you don't have to soap at 165, just heat them up to that temp and then let them cool before soaping. :)

Last edited:
Back