two recipes; one soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy_owl

Reaction score
Kayso, I want to make a nice gentle facial bar, colored with clay, with a really white top, and as my olive oil keeps turning uncolored batter a sickly yellow, I was thinking of doing an 80% lard/20% coconut oil 1-pound recipe to do the tops, to be layered on the colored soap.
If that makes sense.
The recipes are no problem. What's giving me the pip is figuring out the timing of this things. Anyone ever do this and in what order do you do which thing?
Thank you for help in advance.

I've not ever done such a technique (yet), but if it were me, I would have all the ingredients ready to go with both batches (all the oils melted and lye solutions made, etc....), but I'd hold off on doing anything with the top batch yet, and only mix the batch for the bottom layer at first. I'd use the stick blender to bring it to med-thick trace before pouring into my mold, and then bang the mold well to even things out. Having the bottom at a nice med-thick trace will prevent any bleed-through when the top layer is poured on.

Next, I'd go to work quickly on the top batch and stick blend to a nice light-to-medium trace and carefully pour over the thicker bottom.

Then I'd gel the soap to make sure the layers adhere well to each other.

Anyway, that's how I'd do it.

IrishLass :)

I've done something similar and I agree w Irish Lass' method. You can pour the second batter onto a spoon or spatula held just above the first layer to help the second layer ooze gently onto the first.

Thank you so much! I have masterbatched my oils and will deal with the lye if there's time before I get into my costume and go celebrate Mardi Gras (yes, I soap on Mardi Gras; welcome to the painful world of addiction). I'm just hoping the bottom layer doesn't set up too hard while I'l SBing the top layer, because I want the white to be very thick so I can make it swirly and whipped-cream-looking. Hoping for a Carnival miracle!

Back