Sun lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xuledywo

Reaction score
Seeking recommendations for a body lotion with sunscreen that's suitable for daily use all over. Not interested in fancy face lotions—prefer something in a pump bottle due to frequent use in our climate. I've heard good things about Supergoop online, but personal recommendations would be great! What's your go-to for sunscreen lotion that's effective and easy to apply? Thanks for sharing your favorites!

Seeking recommendations for a body lotion with sunscreen that's suitable for daily use all over. Not interested in fancy face lotions—prefer something in a pump bottle due to frequent use in our climate. I've heard good things about Supergoop online, but personal recommendations would be great! What's your go-to for sunscreen lotion that's effective and easy to apply? Thanks for sharing your favorites!
no reposne to this

Sunscreen is a very complex product, and regulated as a drug in the US. Given the potentially severe consequences for ineffective sunscreen, and the inability to measure SPF at home, the general recommendation is that home crafters do not attempt to make sunscreen. However, you can find lots of mommy blogs that will provide their suggestions.

We do have prior threads that go into this in more detail, including this one.

I think the OP is asking for recommendations on a commercially made sunscreen, not a DIY recipe. If that is the case, I don't have anything that I can recommend as I usually just buy something that is available to choose from at Target. I have a friend who is an extremely fair redhead and has always worn sunscreen every day for as long as I have known her, and she does the same.

I wasn't sure if you are looking to make sun lotion or buy it, but if purchasing, what's sold varies a lot around the world. Some ingredients that are approved in, for instance, Europe, aren't used in the USA. I had a favorite facial sunscreen from Korea that's no longer available to me; the one I'm liking now is from Trader Joe's but that's probably not sold where you are in the UK.

You might be interested in the Lab Muffin Beauty Science YouTube channel. She is an Australian chemist with lots of blog posts and videos about sunscreens (not just Australian ones). This is her latest video, but there are plenty of others:

I've heard good things about Supergoop online, but personal recommendations would be great!
I use Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen on my face on days I’m not wearing makeup and know I’ll be outside (my normal makeup is Tarte BB tinted moisturizer that’s SPF 20). I like it because it’s not greasy and doesn’t clog my pores, but it does have a silicone-ish feel that’s kind of slippery and powdery. Which doesn’t bother me but bears mentioning. It makes a nice primer, too, if you use foundation. It’s definitely not the cheapest thing out there, though.

Living in Australia I buy the highest rated sunscreen I can find. Here we have a huge issue with skin cancer and I would not even consider anything under UPF50+.

The grey bottle cancer council sunscreen (Australian) in the video is the one I use, SPF 50. SPF 20 in Australia is not enough.

Back