Sub for palm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireandhearth

Reaction score
Hello. I will be making this soap recipe today however, I do not like using nor have palm oil. How can I substitute this without changing the recipe much. Am I able to just add 8 more oz of olive oil?
  • 10 ounces cooled brewed coffee
  • 4.3 ounces lye
  • 9 ounces coconut oil
  • 9 ounces olive oil
  • 2 ounces castor oi
  • 8 ounces palm oil
  • 2 ounces shea butter
  • 2 tablespoons ground coffee

Subs for palm include the nut butters (shea, cocoa, mango, etc.), lard, tallow, and hydrogenated soybean oil (especially soy "wax" which is highly hydrogenated). Look for fats that have a high combined percentage of palmitic and stearic fatty acids. Probably the best alternative to palm is lard as far as making the best performing soap.

Another option is to include a small % of stearic acid. But if you're really new to soap making, it's an ingredient that can be difficult to work with, so maybe wait on that until your soap making skills are solid.

In addition to the post above - yes, you can double the olive olive if you want, BUT that will give your soap different properties. For example, too much olive oil can make your soap slimy and in need of a longer cure before it's good enough. So it's better to stick to hard fats/butters, as advised. And no matter how you decide to change your recipe, always run the numbers through a soap calculator.

Back