Spiky growth on soap. What is it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What’s this and is it purely cosmetic? This batch of soap was from my early efforts. I don’t have this issue with subsequent efforts.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Is the stuff hard or soft?
What's the superfat? Did you use cocoa, mango, or Shea butter? Could it be a fat bloom like you see in lotion bars? 🧐
I've never seen anything like that before.

Last edited:
Soda ash develops for a lot of reasons. Some reasons we have control over, others not so much.

higher amount of water in the soap batter (aka low lye concentration)

batter poured at emulsion rather than later at a more obvious trace

saponification occurring more slowly due to lower temperatures so free alkali is present in the soap for a longer time

low relative humidity

maybe the phase of the moon?

Wow, that is serious soda ash.
In case I ever get it (soda ash that has crystalized like that) , although it does border on looking decorative, I'm wondering if you can get rid of it like you get rid of other soda ash, i.e. steaming, etc.?

Wow, that is serious soda ash.
In case I ever get it (soda ash that has crystalized like that) , although it does border on looking decorative, I'm wondering if you can get rid of it like you get rid of other soda ash, i.e. steaming, etc.?
I assume so - it's not different in nature, just more severe (or at least it looks that way).

OP has posted some 'before' photos, maybe we can see some 'after' as well? How did it go, @ewhitake , did you try to remove the stuff?

I assume so - it's not different in nature, just more severe (or at least it looks that way).

OP has posted some 'before' photos, maybe we can see some 'after' as well? How did it go, @ewhitake , did you try to remove the stuff?
After steaming and before with “what ever” photos. Seems it was just real aggressive soda ash 🤨

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
After steaming and before with “what ever” photos. Seems it was just real aggressive soda ash 🤨
That's great!

@ewhitake , wow! that was definitely soap worth steaming. What a beautiful caramelly soap! I could take a bite out of that :p
Wait, I'm thinking... 'Caramel frostbite' - a perfect name for the soap 'before' it was treated... I'm willing to pass the rights, no need to pay royalties 😝

I’ve had the same thing happen and thought it was soda ash as well. However, using the same recipe and having it not happen I began to wonder. On a day with high humidity it was serious. I did a little research and came across that soap is a humectant and it pulls moisture from the air. It looked like all my expensive EO was leaking out!! Anyone have thoughts on this?

I’ve had the same thing happen and thought it was soda ash as well. However, using the same recipe and having it not happen I began to wonder. On a day with high humidity it was serious. I did a little research and came across that soap is a humectant and it pulls moisture from the air. It looked like all my expensive EO was leaking out!! Anyone have thoughts on this?
Hmmm... I don't have any thoughts on this but I sitting on the edge of my seat to see what others think! So many possibilities with these odd events...

Latest posts

Back