Soapcalc Soap Properties vs Soapmaker 3 properties

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shonnyisley

Reaction score
How accurate do SoapCalc numbers seem when it comes to the properties of the final soap? Is it best to just by Soapmaker 3? Which one has true to property formulation tools?

I prefer SoapMaker 3 and since I have bought it I haven't looked back. There are a few things I like about it, but there are still some oils that will fool it too. For instance Olive Oil ends up as a very hard bar of soap and castor adds a lot of lather, more than calculators show.

Another thing I like about it is that I can do liquid, hard and cream soap calculations plus I can also formulate my lotions, creams, and other body products right there. It will also store your recipe for future reference and you can add a picture to the batch file.

Did I happen to mention I love this program? :wink:

I use Soapcal only as I only make soap for us. Down the road should I sell I would get Soap Maker. But for those starting out Soapcal is enough. I print out recipes and can play with making one and changing it. Never had a bad batch yet unless it was my fault i.e. not cutting salt bar soon enough.

Lindy said:
I prefer SoapMaker 3 and since I have bought it I haven't looked back. There are a few things I like about it, but there are still some oils that will fool it too. For instance Olive Oil ends up as a very hard bar of soap and castor adds a lot of lather, more than calculators show.

Another thing I like about it is that I can do liquid, hard and cream soap calculations plus I can also formulate my lotions, creams, and other body products right there. It will also store your recipe for future reference and you can add a picture to the batch file.

Did I happen to mention I love this program? :wink:

riiight there with ya on that one!!!

In the process of writing my own calculator, I noticed while browsing multiple oil lists that each list had its own set of SAP values. This raised the question, which SAP values are the right SAP values? I don't know... Unless you calculate the SAP value yourself (which is normally done in a lab).

I "ASSUME" different brands of the same type of oil probably have slightly different SAP values, therefore no calculator can be 100% accurate.

I've never used soapmaker 3, so I can't look at their list of oils. The features of the software alone may make it worth your while.

You asked which one is more accurate, I guess that depends where you buy your oils and how closely those oils match up to the SAP values listed in the calculator.

Back