Slipcover...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had the fabric to make a slipcover for my sectional sofa for 5 years, but about the time I bought the fabric, I started making soap šŸ¤£. It's finally happening! I've covered chairs before, but never something this size. I decided to try pinning with the right side out and seams trimmed to 3/4" (based on the good tuts from this generous blogger), with top-stitched seams rather than welting. Welting would probably look better, but it's more work and more prone to wear. Without thinking, I started with the most visible part of the sectional, so the pressure is on. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

IMG_1136.jpeg

Thank you for the link.
Oh, and good luck.
That's a huge challenge. I'd probably cheat like crazy, turn the fabric right side out and use brass tacks all around.
Should anyone ask about it say it's supposed to be like that. ;)

Your post reminded me that I need to make up new outdoor seat cushions, throw pillows, and get started on the outdoor rugs.
Like I don't have anything else to do. Beat the heatwave.

On a whim,maybe not such a bright idea on my part. I bought one of those kiddie sewing machines to sew up everything outside. Went to Wallyworld and saw a Singer hand held stitch quick machines. Ok, @ $20.00. Figured my time, materials. Give it a try. On those outdoor privacy shades that I've already started and pinned.
It will be interesting to see how everything in my mind actually turns into either one hot mess. Or a nice job, well thought out.

Maybeeee :)

Wow! What a great way to accomplish that task! I've thought about recovering my couch, but then I look at the sides and edges and wonder how it could be done. You found the perfect solution! I think it will turn out amazing!

Aside from a few tricky seam junctions, this project mostly involves sewing a bunch of straight seams. My enthusiasm for a DIY went way up after a conversation with the local slipcover maker who told me she was backed up for months. I guess I could have waited šŸ¤£

@Relle We Yanks grew up with a famous baseball song that has this racy chorus:

"Take me out to the ball game,
Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."

Also cheering you on! I love the idea of putting the couch on buckets to make it easier to reach. Many years ago I tried sewing piping on pillows. I scrapped that idea and just did regular seams. They turned out pretty well and I donā€™t regret leaving out the piping. Hope you feel the same about leaving out the welting. It certainly will make fitting easier. Best of luck! Please keep us posted.

Iā€™m impressed that youā€™re taking on such a big project! It looks great alreadyā€¦like a professional is working on it. šŸ™‚ I have two chairs Iā€™ve been wanting to recover for years but havenā€™t been brave enough to try. Plus, I havenā€™t figured out how to do it with the attached cushions. Please keep us posted on your progress! I would love to see it when itā€™s finished!

Iā€™m impressed that youā€™re taking on such a big project! It looks great alreadyā€¦like a professional is working on it. šŸ™‚ I have two chairs Iā€™ve been wanting to recover for years but havenā€™t been brave enough to try. Plus, I havenā€™t figured out how to do it with the attached cushions. Please keep us posted on your progress! I would love to see it when itā€™s finished!
The site I linked has instructions for dealing with attached cushions, for example, when to cut them free and when to leave them attached.

As someone who can barely sew a straight line and will do everything to avoid sewing anything (even mending), I can't even imagine taking on this task. Good luck - I am sure you will work your Mobjack magic on this project and it will be amazing!
Same here! I can barely sew a button, so this is an impressive undertaking!

I made the cushion covers for the lounge, there were 10 with zippers, I hate doing zippers in clothing or cushions.
I cannot fathom this... I can barely stitch on a button, and even those don't turn out well. I have a pile of clothes to take in for alterations, because nothing off the shelf ever fits me well. I've always wanted to visit Australia, so maybe I should pack them in a suitcase and come see you. :)

I cannot fathom this... I can barely stitch on a button, and even those don't turn out well. I have a pile of clothes to take in for alterations, because nothing off the shelf ever fits me well. I've always wanted to visit Australia, so maybe I should pack them in a suitcase and come see you. :)
Nooooooo, I don't do other people's, even dh has to do his own, he sews on his own buttons, takes up jeans (pet hate with jeans) and uses the sewing machine for incidentals like fixing holes and making his fishing rod covers, bags to put his reels in, maybe he can fix them for you. I couldn't get near the machine for 4 hours at christmas years ago, when he bought it for me, because he wanted to see what it could do.

My mother was an amazing seamstress but didn't have the demeanor to teach me, so I taught myself. I rode my bike to the local fabric store, bought a pattern and fabric and then made a dress in secret. The fabric was navy blue with white dots (Swiss dot, just like this). I was 11! Sewing is a lot easier when you have the right machine, the right thread, the right needles, the right thimble for hand sewing, etc., but most people probably don't.

I have 11 zippers to put in for cushions and 3 for the slipcovers. I'm sure I will be a whiz at it by the time I'm done.

Progress!

The cover for one section of the sectional couch is done except for the hem, inside seam finishes, top stitching and a little pressing. šŸ¤£ Itā€™s a lot of work but Iā€™m proceeding slowly so I donā€™t get frustrated.

IMG_1152.jpeg

I conquered three 3-way seam junctions. Yay!

IMG_1153.jpeg

TIA if youā€™re following along. Posting progress is helping to keep me motivated. šŸ˜€

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back