Shealoe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crafty86

Reaction score
I have a couple questions, hoping a few of you can help me as far as perservatives go...

When I was preggo, this lady I knew made a "Shea Aloe" cream for preggo people to help not get stretch marks. I LOVED the stuff it was expsensive but so worth it. Anyways, I wanna make some. All I know is she had Shea - i'm thinking un-refined because it wasn't like a jelly consistancy it was pretty firm. And aloe, which over a period of a couple days the "yellow aloe" would kinda ooze out. And you'd have to mix it back up. So.... :lol: Should I do like a 70% shea to 30% yellow aloe leaf juice? Is that what I should use...and perservative wise...since theres no water...and should be no chance of water...should I still put it in I've got Germaben. And at what amount? Thanks in advance!

There are companies that already sell a shealoe butter. Just in case you're looking.

I'm allergic to aloe, so I don't work with it. But here are some of the things that I know about it. Aloe is considered a water product, so you'd probably want a preservative. Also, probably an emulsifier to get them to mix.

For how much preservative, you go by what your supplier states for the usage. What Germaben is it?

It says 0.3%-1.0%...and I have E-wax but I dont think I want it...I want it to ooze out just like hers did!!

Aloe is water based so you will need a preservative. Otherewise you will be smearing yourself with germs, mold or bacteria within 2 days.

OK. So I'm going to do the 70% shea and 30 % aloe. And I'm going to use a whole 1% preservative. Just because :lol: I'll let you ladies know how it turns out!

crafty86 said:
OK. So I'm going to do the 70% shea and 30 % aloe. And I'm going to use a whole 1% preservative. Just because :lol: I'll let you ladies know how it turns out!
Not all preservatives are used at 1%. Which one will you be using?

crafty86 said:
Germaben it says 0.3% - 1.0%...so does the 1% sound like to much?
I would start with 0.5%. The maximum allowable % is usually used for harder to preserve ingredients like herbal infusions. Be aware that Germaben is heat sensitive and should not be added above 140 degrees.
You will need an accurate scale to measure the correct amount.

:wink: Got the scale. Cool. Since you say Aloe is water based...would I still need an emulsifier? I want it to ooze out like I said...but without it wouldn't it seperate completly? Or since the shea is so solid it would take a while anyways? When she made it I always had to kinda mix it back up. But not alot...if that makes any sence :lol:

crafty86 said:
:wink: Got the scale. Cool. Since you say Aloe is water based...would I still need an emulsifier? I want it to ooze out like I said...but without it wouldn't it seperate completly? Or since the shea is so solid it would take a while anyways? When she made it I always had to kinda mix it back up. But not alot...if that makes any sence :lol:
If you want the aloe to ooze out, then leave the emulsifier out. Yes, it will separate; that's what the oozing is doing. The aloe is coming out of the shea since they won't stay mixed for long. The problem I see with this that any time you mix it back up, you are introducing germs, bacteria or mold into it with whatever you are mixing it with. No implements in our kitchens are sterile.

I just mixed it up with my fingers before I used it. Nothing out of my kitchen. And isn't that why I add the preservative though?? :?

crafty86 said:
I just mixed it up with my fingers before I used it. Nothing out of my kitchen. And isn't that why I add the preservative though?? :?
A preservative helps, but I would never stick my fingers into any product in a jar. You are contaminating it with your fingers and your fingers aren't sterile, nor sanitary. I would use a disposable, clean popsicle stick or a disposable coffee stirrer.

Every time you're dipping your fingers back into it to stir, it adds more bacteria. Preservatives can only kill off so much bacteria before they're not effective anymore. They already have to kill off the bacteria from the container, from the aloe, from what you're originally using to stir it, etc. That's a lot of work.

:? So I'm confused. How do you use cream? Do you really go and get something to get it out with everytime? I think thats silly. And I'm not saying getting my fingers all in it and mixing, just the stuff I'm taking out and about to use...maybe I'm not explaining myself good enough?!! I dunno. I'll def let you know how it turns out! How do you kow when you have bacteria in something? Is there some kinda test I can buy??

Bacteria cannot always be seen with the naked eye. The cream could look fine and smell fine yet be full of bacteria, which could cause major havock with your skin. I use a small plastic spatula with all my creams. I am also a Licensed Esthetician and I have seen some really bad creams by others over the years.

You can send a sample of your cream to be tested at the Sage Script Institute. Their fee is quite reasonable and well worth testing. http://www.sagescript.com/microbiologyservices.htm

Should I make it and wait a couple days before I send it? Or does it not matter when I send it? I think I'm going to make it tonight...or attempt to! :lol:

When I talked to Jen at Lotioncrafters, she said that you should open a jar and use it for week or two, as your customers would, before you send it for testing.
Put your fingers in it to apply, leave the lid of for a day, etc. I think you are looking for how your preservative holds up over the long run. Can it keep your
product from spoiling after it lives with your customer for awhile.- not just if it is sanitary when it is first produced. It could be that you introduced a contaminent
while manufacturing, and it takes awhile for that organism to build up a population that would test positive.

Back