Salt Soap and super fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made two batches of salt soap based on Holly‘s Soapmaking recipe. The first batch I used 15% super fat and the bars are really hard and after four weeks they were usable. The second batch, I made a mistake and used 12% super fat. At four weeks, these bars are still rather soft, dent easily, and actually feel pretty greasy. I used the same recipe for both batches, the only difference was the super fat. Can I just leave the second batch to cure and eventually they’ll harden up? Or are they a total loss?

I would just let them cure for a year. I love salt bars and cure mine for a minimum of 7 months - they are always very hard when I remove them from the (cavity) molds though. I don't know what Holly's recipe is off hand to compare.

I'm so envious of you guys that can cure salt bars for months. My latest salt bars haven't stopped sweating since it was made 3 months ago. I had hopes to cure them unwrapped but have now cling wrapped them.

I used the same recipe for both batches, the only difference was the super fat.

For Holly's recipe, what is the salt %? I've never had a salt soap that was greasy and soft so I'm no help here. Could it be a different brand of oils you used in the 2 batches?

I'm so envious of you guys that can cure salt bars for months. My latest salt bars haven't stopped sweating since it was made 3 months ago. I had hopes to cure them unwrapped but have now cling wrapped them.

For Holly's recipe, what is the salt %? I've never had a salt soap that was greasy and soft so I'm no help here. Could it be a different brand of oils you used in the 2 batches?
I have no idea either except maybe the SF% was off🤦🏽‍♀️

May the Soap fairy bless your soap and turn out for the best!
Apparently, I’ve been blessed by the 🧼 ✨🧚🧚! I didn’t put much thought into my salt bars and them sweating. I live in the Pacific Northwest with low humidity. Bad for skin but apparently good for making salt soaps. I made two batches, back to back a few months ago, no sweating.😅 However, it’s now getting 🥵. I’ll keep an eye out!

Last edited:
Apparently, I’ve been blessed by the 🧼 ✨🧚🧚! I didn’t put much thought into my salt bars and them sweating. I live in the Pacific Northwest with low humidity. Bad for skin but apparently good for making salt soaps. I made two batches, back to back a few months ago, no sweating.😅 However, it’s now getting 🥵. I’ll keep an eye out!
@LynetteO, when you said you are in the PNW I looked at your location. I’m just up the road in Sandpoint. Nice to meet a neighbor!
To get back on topic, @ewhitake, sorry about second batch, I also vote for letting the soap cure for a long time. Nothing to lose, right? I made several batches of salt soap last summer with the intent of letting them cure a year. I don’t claim to understand the chemistry of a really long cure, but I can tell you it works. The salt soap that has cured a year is lovely.

I've made a couple small batches of salt bars -- mostly coconut oil, high superfat (17% to 20%), and salt at 50% of the total fat weight.

I tried to give this type of soap a fair trial, I honestly did, but I'm still not a fan. So I have no "dog in this fight" about whether or not this type of soap needs to cure for a long time.

I absolutely know salt bars really do get more pleasant as they age -- better lather and milder to the skin. Just not mild and pleasant enough for me.

I made two batches of salt soap based on Holly‘s Soapmaking recipe. The first batch I used 15% super fat and the bars are really hard and after four weeks they were usable. The second batch, I made a mistake and used 12% super fat. At four weeks, these bars are still rather soft, dent easily, and actually feel pretty greasy. I used the same recipe for both batches, the only difference was the super fat. Can I just leave the second batch to cure and eventually they’ll harden up? Or are they a total loss?
A lower SF shouldn't contribute to a softer bar. Actually, the opposite would be more likely, because saponified oils are going to be harder than the unsaponified ones in the higher SF bar.

Is there any possibility that your lye solution was weaker for the second batch? For instance, had either the solution or the lye crystals been sitting out longer, uncovered and exposed to the air?

Whatever the reason, I'd let the soap cure, and it will probably harden up a bit. I've had a few batches that stayed softer than normal, even after a long cure. Obviously something happened, but the soap was still usable - it just melted away faster in the shower. :)

A lower SF shouldn't contribute to a softer bar. Actually, the opposite would be more likely, because saponified oils are going to be harder than the unsaponified ones in the higher SF bar.

Is there any possibility that your lye solution was weaker for the second batch? For instance, had either the solution or the lye crystals been sitting out longer, uncovered and exposed to the air?

Whatever the reason, I'd let the soap cure, and it will probably harden up a bit. I've had a few batches that stayed softer than normal, even after a long cure. Obviously something happened, but the soap was still usable - it just melted away faster in the shower. :)
You're probably right about the lye solution. I made another batch using the same recipe yesterday, paying special attention to all the measuring, stirring and desolving and it turned out really well!! I don't know if I can wait a year to use one though. LOL!! I'm not the most patient person. Which is weird cuz all the "hobbies" I have require patience. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will add that the longer your salt bars cure the better they get. I have made salt bars every since I first started soaping and still have one that is at least 8 yrs old. It is fantastic and I only use it a couple times a year. I always planned my salt bars inventory so I could age my bars a min of 8 months before taking them to market.

Using lower super fat will not cause your bars to be softer in fact if anything it could help with hardening. If you missed with your salt percentage that could change your setup time or hardening time. All my bars are made with 100- 120% salt so mine setup in about 45 min. I cut when they are still quite hot. Salt bars are very healing for my eczema. I use a 17% super fat.

I will add that the longer your salt bars cure the better they get. I have made salt bars every since I first started soaping and still have one that is at least 8 yrs old. It is fantastic and I only use it a couple times a year. I always planned my salt bars inventory so I could age my bars a min of 8 months before taking them to market.

Using lower super fat will not cause your bars to be softer in fact if anything it could help with hardening. If you missed with your salt percentage that could change your setup time or hardening time. All my bars are made with 100- 120% salt so mine setup in about 45 min. I cut when they are still quite hot. Salt bars are very healing for my eczema. I use a 17% super fat.
8 years? 120%? WOW! Doubt I could wait that long. LOL!! And my salt is only use 10% the oil weight. At that level I can oven process and cut the next day. I'm also using Himalayan salt which I grind until most of it is fine.
Do you use anything other than water for your liquid? I made another batch using heavy whipping cream. I masterbatch my lye so was a little concerned when the lye/cream solution was really thick but the loaf came out really well!

Back