Recipe Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone point me in the right direction of tweaking this recipe. I have access to beef tallow so I use a lot of that in my recipe. I like very minimal ingredients.

Thank you all so much !

Attachments

• IMG_9831.jpeg
    IMG_9831.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Looks great to me. I usually don't use more than 5% castor but some people use up to 7-8%, so YMMV. Overall I think it's a pretty balanced recipe, and once you are able to test it over time, you will know what you do/don't like about it and adjust further, if needed

I agree, this looks like a nice recipe. Personally I can't go that high on the cleansing number, so I'd lower the CO to 15% and raise the OO by 5%. If you are worried that it won't be bubbly enough, dissolve 1-2% (weight of oils) of sugar in some of your batch water before adding the NaOH. This won't change the calculator numbers, but it will act as a solvent so that the soap lathers more freely.

Also, this recipe is likely to move pretty quickly. My recommendation is that once you've heated the tallow to at least 160ºF to prevent stearic spots, then measure and stir in all the other oils at room temp to cool it back down. If you are wanting to make any kind of design, I'd let it cool to 100ºF or less before adding lye solution that has cooled to a similar temp.

Of course, if you are making plain bars and not worried about acceleration, or if you are hot-processing the soap, then higher temps shouldn't be a problem for you.

Good luck! We'd love to see pictures of your finished soap. :)

Latest posts

Back