Problem with a mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0233.jpeg
IMG_0232.jpeg

Used this mold for the first time 48 hours ago. Hand washed before use. Added rather non- unusual soap batter. Put filled molds and put in insulated cabinet for 12 hours and then left on my work table for another 12 hours. The soap did not release very easily. In fact, it’s still pretty soft. Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:
Total side question here... did you really add the sugar at trace? Normally you would dissolve it in the water before adding the NaOH (or in some separated water that you use to dissolve the sodium citrate).

Back to the main question, I don't think you didn't anything wrong. High castor recipes tend to be a bit softer, and saponification tends to take longer in cavity molds generally due to less mass (which generates less heat). This is why I put my cavity molds on a heating pad. :)

You can also put them in the freezer to harden up. After you set them on the counter for about 5 minutes, condensation will form, and they will release easily and cleanly. They may still be a bit softer after they defrost, but by then, they will be safely on your curing rack where they won't get dented or dinged.

Total side question here... did you really add the sugar at trace? Normally you would dissolve it in the water before adding the NaOH (or in some separated water that you use to dissolve the sodium citrate).

Back to the main question, I don't think you didn't anything wrong. High castor recipes tend to be a bit softer, and saponification tends to take longer in cavity molds generally due to less mass (which generates less heat). This is why I put my cavity molds on a heating pad. :)

You can also put them in the freezer to harden up. After you set them on the counter for about 5 minutes, condensation will form, and they will release easily and cleanly. They may still be a bit softer after they defrost, but by then, they will be safely on your curing rack where they won't get dented or dinged.
Thanks @AliOop!! Could I oven process instead? I don’t have a heating pad 😐
Also, I’ve been adding sugar to my warm oils. I’m also adding (and it may not be written down) sodium citrate into lye solution. When I’ve added sugar and sc to lye I get lumps 😢

Thanks @AliOop!! Could I oven process instead? I don’t have a heating pad 😐
Also, I’ve been adding sugar to my warm oils. I’m also adding (and it may not be written down) sodium citrate into lye solution. When I’ve added sugar and sc to lye I get lumps 😢
Yes, you can oven-process cavity molds, but you have to be pretty careful to keep the temp low.

I guess if the oils are warm enough, that would melt the sugar, although not really dissolve it. It's really better to dissolve it in water.

It's also really important to add the sodium citrate (and sugar, and anything else) to the distilled water, and fully dissolve them, before you add the NaOH. Otherwise, the NaOH will "hog" the water and not let other things dissolve, which is what causes the lumps.

Last edited:
Yes, you can oven-process cavity molds, but you have to be pretty careful to keep the temp low.

I guess if the oils are warm enough, that would melt the sugar, although not really dissolve it. It's really better to dissolve it in water.

It's also really important to add the sodium citrate (and sugar, and anything else) to the distilled water, and fully dissolve them, before you add the NaOH. Otherwise, the NaOH will "hog" the water and not let other things dissolve, which is what causes the lumps.
Thanks!!!

Back