oh boy, I do need some advice!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
I don't ever peek

I peeked and er, I don't like what I saw.

there was oil on top of my soap, about a 1/4 inch or more.

Is this what they call seperation? what did I do wrong. soap to hot? too cold, darn this is just the pits.

but then again I've never peeked before so maybe this is normal, but I doubt it.

can some of you more experienced soapers help? if this batch is a flop, do I rebatch? I've never done that before, but my crock pot is ready.....and waiting.

it's been about 3 hours maybe 3 1/2...hours after pouring into the log mold.

this isn't normal......is it?

thanks so much,
Ali

nooooooooo not normal!

It's separation and I'm guessing you made a castile? or other soap high in olive oil or in lard?

You didn't have complete emulsification so the soap is separating in the mold. If this is indeed the case then you can scoop the whole thing into your soap bowl and stick blend it back together if it's still liquidy, or you can HP (rebatch) it in your crockpot.

The other thing it might be is overheating, but I don't think so unless you have it in the oven.

oh yeah, high in olive oil.

so just scoop it out right now and put it in the crock pot?

if so then I'm off like a prom dress to do just that.

what setting? High or low?

maybe I should go down and touch it. what if it's hard underneath.

sorry for all the questions, but I'm totally freakin' out here.

by the way.....I admire you all so much.

I lurk most of the time, drooling with envy. Mostly at the photo gallery.

again, thanks

This has happened to me a few times and I was able to save it by scooping it back into the pot, stick blending the heck out of it, and putting it in the oven at about 200 for about 40 mins, stirring every 15 minutes or so.

If the bottom is already hardening, you can leave it to the next day and rebatch it. Don't get rid of the oils floating on the top, just pour them back into your pot, grate the soap, and rebatch it all.

The first way is a lot easier though!

well, just went and checked

I don't think I can stick blend it back together. it is now the consistancy of a soft moist brownie.

should I wait until it cools and then rebatch?

Leave it alone.

Sometimes the oil will reabsorb, castile soap takes time...give it at least 48 hours before you decide to rebatch.

Ooh, I had a vary bad seperation with my first try of Hp yesterday, I sb'd it till the cows came home (about 1.5 hours until I gave up and admitted defeat!) , to no avail, popped it in a mould, so I would rebatch today, I think there was about 2 cms of oil on top, it is currently sitting in my slow cooker set ot low! :lol: :lol: :lol: Hope this works! Will keep you posted!

well, just got home from work.....I left it alone, didn't rebatch.

the oil reabsorbed, well.....mostly.

what would ya say I do now? there is no oil on top anymore but I don't think I can pull it out of the mold just yet, unless I decide to rebatch it right now.

it feels oily to the touch and is not hard, but not soft, sorta the inbetween stage.

should I wait a few days and see what happens?

x

i would wait a few days-give it a chance to harden.

was this pure olive or mostly? if so you might want to reduce your water to a 2:1 water/lye. i find that this helps.

when i make a bastille-60% olive 40% coconut with a 10% lye discount that it traces easily and is still a very gentle moisturizing soap.

coconut oil gives lye something to sink it's "teeth" into and kick-start the saponification process.

thank you guys so much for helping.
your advice is much appreciated!

I am sooooo addicted to making soap!
The one in question was my garden soap scented with Dirt.
lol, couldn't pass it up. Too alluring....lol dirt. perfect!

We bought an old victorian house that had sat neglected for years and our local nurseries have been more than helpful in getting the yard back in shape. often donating "needed to be saved" plants to us.

I thought the dirt soap would be perfect as a thank you.

I hope it's not totally ruined, the top was so pretty.

x

:D it's great to have good neighbors!

one last thought-i only use "a grade" or plain olive oil. it sap's faster. the virgin and extra virgins are a PIA!!!!

It sounds like it is going to be fine. And the good thing about a soap called "dirt", it's not going to matter if it's not perfect.
The nursery people are going to love it.

Here are the results of my bad seperation two days ago and the resulting rebatch!
oilslick.jpg

cocoasoap.jpg

All in all I am happy with the learning process, the soap is milk, honey, oatmeal, and what was supposed to be a cocoa swirl(before the rebatch), so it smells like choclate biscuits at the mo!

Latest posts

Back