Need help fixing an error please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried the LS recipe that @IrishLass shared using glycerin. I misunderstood the KoH dilution, I dissolved the KoH in the same amount of distilled water, and added the glycerin as the amount of liquid shown. I got stubborn about seeing the “flying bubbles” and forgot that I didn’t need to blend further than a stable emulsion. It was pretty zappy until this morning. I did the canning jar dilution at 65%and it’s super runny. I added more paste to bring it up to a 50% dilution and no real change. I’m pretty sure it’s the error I made with the water/glycerine, and I’m 99% positive my scale (with fresh batteries) is not accurate. 2nd scale I’ve gone thru, one with rechargeable batteries coming today!!! With both of these factors working against me should I toss it or use it for cleaning my counters or laundry? Almost no lather even with a poof.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Don't toss it! Since it is already overdiluted, try a small amount in a foamer bottle and see how you like it. If it is too thick, you can dilute with a bit more water until you reach the foam consistency that you prefer. Keep track of how much water you added, so you can recreate it for refills. :)

Don't toss it! Since it is already overdiluted, try a small amount in a foamer bottle and see how you like it. If it is too thick, you can dilute with a bit more water until you reach the foam consistency that you prefer. Keep track of how much water you added, so you can recreate it for refills. :)
I don’t have a foamer bottle…if I buy store bought foamer soap can I dump the soap and use the bottle?

if I buy store bought foamer soap can I dump the soap and use the bottle?
Sure, but my inner minimalist cringes a bit at wasting the purchased soap. If you use Amazon, they have empty foamer bottles. Likewise, if you have a craft supply store (think Hobby Lobby type) they usually have some kind of foamer bottle.

I don’t have a foamer bottle…if I buy store bought foamer soap can I dump the soap and use the bottle?
Sure, although I agree with @Maple_Street_Bath - purchase an empty foamer if you can. You can even purchase foamer pumps that go on mason jars. The scale is off in the picture; this foamer pump from Amazon isn't quite as oversized as it looks. I love it.

IMG_2749.jpeg

I'm glad to hear that it worked out. I bought a $0.99 bottle of liquid soap at the dollar store so I could use the foamer bottle to test my own liquid soap. I will use the dollar store soap for something else, like washing the car, or ???

Back