My Second Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booker

Reaction score
This is my second CP soap I've done. It has olive oil, coconut oil, and palm oil. No scent. I used activated charcoal and some gold glitter from Brambleberry.

Question, the gold glitter I poured on top, I mixed it with 1 tbsp of olive oil. As you can see it made rivulets. What should I have done differently to avoid that?

Here it is in the mold just after swirling.
Leftover oils soap in mold.JPG

Unmolded and cut. I was not patient; the soap stuck a bit. Looks pretty.

Leftover Oils soap pic.JPG

Here are the rivulets. There is glitter everywhere.

IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG

Question, the gold glitter I poured on top, I mixed it with 1 tbsp of olive oil. As you can see it made rivulets. What should I have done differently to avoid that?

That's just what happens. The oil absorbs into the soap and leaves the mica behind. You can mix it with a little soap batter instead, but you would lose that shininess of the mica.

I don't know of another way to get shiny mica swirls. I wonder if you could use clear melt and pour instead of oil.

@Booker, your soap looks great!
I haven't tried using glitter on cold process soap (I'm a newbie, too), but I have lots of glitter.
I'm going to make a note of all responses and suggestions and then try some glitter swirls!!
BTW, how much glitter to 1 Tbsp of olive oil did you use?

Latest posts

Back