My rebatch is spongy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Hey all, I've only ever done the one rebatch and put everything in and I mean everything. Lavender soap, milk soap, plain, castille, just a hodge podge of soaps and when I scooped it out of the crockpot it was spongy. It's been about two months now and it is still spongy!!!??? It works just fine, but the spongyness is a little weird to handle. I didn't SB it, just stirred in the pot. Is this similar to whipped? Have you had similar experiences??

Well I let my rebatch harden about three weeks. The first few days of my rebatches it's actually hard. I do not add too much liquids and my rebatches are made by another soaper. Fresh cp soap does not need any addition of extra liquid because how much you add will determine your cure time. For 1lb of soap I only add 4tbs of distilled water. I have a rebatch method posted in the soapmaking section of the forum or you can check out my blog posted below.

One of the rebatches I did my soap came out spongey, found out later that I had added too much water. So the only type of rebatch I will do now is to grate it and added it to a fresh batch of soap.

I think that may have been my problem also. I was worried it was drying out too much so I did keep adding water. Makes for a reallll strange soap.

Hey Jeremy - definately too much liquid. If you wanted to you could grate it, throw it in the oven and let it melt back down again without adding any more liquid - then once it's "jelly" like you could mold it again and it would come out harder.

yea, if it's fresh soap you probably need add no more liquid unless you are cooking it too long and in an open pot. if it's "old" soap you want to add maybe between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of liquid (I prefer milk to water) maximum. the only way you can get away with that is to grate or chop your soap really small, and to work in as closed a container as possible (if using a pot, keep that lid on as much as you can, etc.)

Cool, thanks guys, yeah, I added way too much water. I did grate it but probably poured a cup of water all tooled in there.
I'll definately give the oven trick a whirl next time.

Yeah - if you had chosen to just let it be - it can takes weeks and weeks for it to dry out enough and then it becomes so mishapen you wouldn't want it anyway - ask me how I know..... :?

Latest posts

Back