Lotion addatives to help with itching

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm tryimg to make a good lotion for my grandma. She likes to swim but often has super itchy skin for days afterwards.
I'm planning on putting in some colloidal oats and menthol but need some advise on anything else I can add.
Anybody know of some stuff that might help?

@AliOop I was planning on leaving it unscented.
I mentioned menthol since she currently uses an expensive lotion with 0.5% in it that she likes. Looking at the lotion ingredients again it uses witch hazel as well.
Do you think I could sub some water for the witch hazel or should it just be an additive?

My hope is to make her a lotion packed with all sorts of good stuff that will help 🤞.

Not knowing your recipe, I can only suggest. My husband gets itchy winter skin and sometimes scratches himself raw. I've found that colloidal oatmeal is one of the best additives. I'll also up the shea butter slightly in a lotion for itchy skin. You can also add humectants like xylitol, betaine, and sucralose; they're also known to be beneficial for aging skin.

As to the witch hazel, yes, you can sub it for some of the water. I do that with aloe juice and hyaluronic acid.

@Misschief thanks! I use the diy lotion concentrate recipe from etsy
As do I. Love that recipe. This is the recipe I made for my summer skin. I didn't add the colloidal oats to this one but you could easily add it. The 5% additives is the lower section.

1725371077408.png

I'm tryimg to make a good lotion for my grandma. She likes to swim but often has super itchy skin for days afterwards.
I'm planning on putting in some colloidal oats and menthol but need some advise on anything else I can add.
Anybody know of some stuff that might help?
I am unsure if you can add this to a lotion but lanolin helps me a lot. I get dry cracked skin in the winter unless I use a salve that contains lanolin. The salve I make has pine resin infused tallow, lanolin, cupuacu butter, emu oil, and jojoba butter.

At some point I'll probably experiment with infusing it with chamomile, calendula, and yarrow but my current recipe works quite well for me.

I am unsure if you can add this to a lotion but lanolin helps me a lot. I get dry cracked skin in the winter unless I use a salve that contains lanolin. The salve I make has pine resin infused tallow, lanolin, cupuacu butter, emu oil, and jojoba butter.

At some point I'll probably experiment with infusing it with chamomile, calendula, and yarrow but my current recipe works quite well for me.

Lanolin works great in lotion/cream. I use it in what I call Knitter's Hand Cream; it's a consistent seller for me. That particular cream also has colloidal oatmeal which is known to help with itchy skin (aka Aveeno).

Latest posts

Back