Liquid creamy dog shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna Hicks

Reaction score
I am attempting to make a dog shampoo that is creamy and conditioning. I also want a good bubbly lather. The castile soap I am making is how I like it but I am losing bubbles and lather when I add in emulsifying wax NF to get the creamy type texture. Would Xantham Gum thicken the soap? It wouldn't be a creamy type shampoo but would it be a thick shampoo? Any advice?

Last edited:
I haven't answered because I don't understand why you're doing what you're doing. It sounds to me like you're using some type of lye-based soap and then adding an emulsifier.

Why are you adding an emulsifier?

Also is the soap is KOH based or NaOH based?

I haven't answered because I don't understand why you're doing what you're doing. It sounds to me like you're using some type of lye-based soap and then adding an emulsifier.

Why are you adding an emulsifier?

Also is the soap is KOH based or NaOH based?
It is a KOH based soap because I want a liquid shampoo. I want a creamy and conditioning type shampoo that also lathers up. I thought the emulsifying wax would give me the creaminess.

Try adding shea butter to your recipe. It won’t dampen the lather as much as the ewax, but it will make the soap more creamy and less transparent.

Also, start with a low dilution ratio to keep it thicker. While viscosity isn’t the same as creaminess, to me, more dilution does affect how creamy it feels.

The emulsifier might make the soap look opaque (creamy?) but it will kill the lather.

If you want an opaque soap, then make the soap with fats rich in stearic and palmitic acids such as the shea that Ali suggests. And/or superfat later on with stearic acid as @IrishLass does with her Coco-Shea soap.

If you want to thicken the soap whether it's opaque or not, you can get a decently thick soap just by diluting the paste with care. I think xanthan gum can work too, but people have problems with it. There are other types of thickeners that are easier to use and more reliable.

I can't say I find any lye-based soap to be "conditioning" in the sense that it soothes, lubricates, and protects the skin. That's more the realm of a body lotion or hair conditioner.

But it is true that some soap recipes will be milder to the skin than others, which might lend the perception of the soap being more "conditioning." Since we don't know your recipe, it's hard to give advice about that.

Superfatting with a fatty acid (stearic acid for example) is one way to add mildness. Making a "combo cleanser" which is a blend of lye-based soap and synthetic detergent can add mildness. If you choose the right syndet, that detergent can also increase thickness.

Try adding shea butter to your recipe. It won’t dampen the lather as much as the ewax, but it will make the soap more creamy and less transparent.

Also, start with a low dilution ratio to keep it thicker. While viscosity isn’t the same as creaminess, to me, more dilution does affect how creamy it feels.
Thank you. I will try that.

The emulsifier might make the soap look opaque (creamy?) but it will kill the lather.

If you want an opaque soap, then make the soap with fats rich in stearic and palmitic acids such as the shea that Ali suggests. And/or superfat later on with stearic acid as @IrishLass does with her Coco-Shea soap.

If you want to thicken the soap whether it's opaque or not, you can get a decently thick soap just by diluting the paste with care. I think xanthan gum can work too, but people have problems with it. There are other types of thickeners that are easier to use and more reliable.

I can't say I find any lye-based soap to be "conditioning" in the sense that it soothes, lubricates, and protects the skin. That's more the realm of a body lotion or hair conditioner.

But it is true that some soap recipes will be milder to the skin than others, which might lend the perception of the soap being more "conditioning." Since we don't know your recipe, it's hard to give advice about that.

Superfatting with a fatty acid (stearic acid for example) is one way to add mildness. Making a "combo cleanser" which is a blend of lye-based soap and synthetic detergent can add mildness. If you choose the right syndet, that detergent can also increase thickness.
Thank you.

@DeeAnna i had the creamy coco-shea recipe in mind, but wasn’t sure if cocoa butter can be used with dogs. I know they can’t eat cocoa/chocolate products, but wasn’t sure if the same contraindications apply to using it on their skin. Do you know?

@DeeAnna i had the creamy coco-shea recipe in mind, but wasn’t sure if cocoa butter can be used with dogs. I know they can’t eat cocoa/chocolate products, but wasn’t sure if the same contraindications apply to using it on their skin. Do you know?
I was told by a vet that there is no risk whatsoever associated with using a cocoa butter shampoo for a dog, even if they lick some of it. It is safe.I hope this gives you some peace of mind. However, do to some of the controversy I have read I likely will not use cocoa butter in my recipe. I will look for an alternative.

Last edited:
I was told by a vet that there is no risk whatsoever associated with using a cocoa butter shampoo for a dog, even if they lick some of it. It is safe.I hope this gives you some peace of mind.
Thank you. 😊 I don’t own any dogs but wouldn’t want to suggest it for a dog soap if it wouldn’t be safe. It is good to know that it is ok to use if someone wants to.

With that, use the search function at the top of the page to find the Creamy Cocoa-Shea LS recipe. It’s my favorite and might be just what you are seeking. Not cheap to make, however, especially with the rising cost of cocoa butter.

I was told by a vet that there is no risk whatsoever associated with using a cocoa butter shampoo for a dog, even if they lick some of it. It is safe.I hope this gives you some peace of mind.
Were they aware of the difference between the standard pet shampoo vs the soap you are making for the pet?

I use my shampoo bars on my dogs. One swipe on a wet dog and it lathers up beautifully. I also use it on all my horses. Even the ones racing. Same thing. One swipe on a wet horse and work it in. I find it very convenient since then I don’t have to lug around a bottle.
Great idea! Are these lye-based soaps or syndet bars? Not being an animal owner (allergies), I don’t have an opinion either way for washing them; I’m just genuinely curious as to what folks use.

Were they aware of the difference between the standard pet shampoo vs the soap you are making for the pet?
Yes, they were aware.

Thank you. 😊 I don’t own any dogs but wouldn’t want to suggest it for a dog soap if it wouldn’t be safe. It is good to know that it is ok to use if someone wants to.

With that, use the search function at the top of the page to find the Creamy Cocoa-Shea LS recipe. It’s my favorite and might be just what you are seeking. Not cheap to make, however, especially with the rising cost of cocoa butter.
I am not 100% sure I will use the cocoa butter, however. Is there a good alternate?

Great idea! Are these lye-based soaps or syndet bars? Not being an animal owner (allergies), I don’t have an opinion either way for washing them; I’m just genuinely curious as to what folks use.
Syndet bars. Unscented. The lather is great and you only need one swipe. If that makes sense. I use Shea butter some jojoba oil. Also liquid rice protein. Pretty much the same I use on my hair lol. Mine has fragrance though lol. I then do a little swipe of a conditioning bar on my dog’s long coat. Makes it extra silky lol. A hairy Retriever. Ugh.

I am attempting to make a dog shampoo that is creamy and conditioning. I also want a good bubbly lather. The castile soap I am making is how I like it but I am losing bubbles and lather when I add in emulsifying wax NF to get the creamy type texture. Would Xantham Gum thicken the soap? It wouldn't be a creamy type shampoo but would it be a thick shampoo? Any advice?
I would suggest making a syndet bar as opposed to using soap. Then possibly add hemp and/or neem to the batter.

Back