Lard Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never used lard for cold processed soap . I am new to soap making and seen this recipe. I was wondering if it is a good one to use.
super fat 5%
lye concentration 33%
olive oil 30%
coconut oil 30%
lard 20%
shea butter 5%
rice bran oil 10%
castor oil 5%
Thanks

I don't see anything wrong with the recipe, looks fine to me. Some may say 30% CO may be too much, but it's more of a personal preference to me. Try it, see what you like and what you don't, after that you can change anything you are not satisfied with

That recipe looks just fine. The coconut oil amount is personal preference. I'm one of those that finds it to drying so I prefer to keep my coconut oil at or below 15%

If you want a simpler recipe that is more lard based I highly recommend this one by @AliOop. I personally don't like high coconut oil so I lower it to 15% and just add the other 5% to the lard.

That recipe looks just fine. The coconut oil amount is personal preference. I'm one of those that finds it to drying so I prefer to keep my coconut oil at or below 15%

If you want a simpler recipe that is more lard based I highly recommend this one by @AliOop. I personally don't like high coconut oil so I lower it to 15% and just add the other 5% to the lard.
Thank you so much . I think I will try that . My last recipe did not have lard it turned out great . Great lather nice hard bar. Great for my skin and my daughters but my Mom said it made her skin dry. I wanted to make something she would like .

I have never used lard for cold processed soap . I am new to soap making and seen this recipe. I was wondering if it is a good one to use.
super fat 5%
lye concentration 33%
olive oil 30%
coconut oil 30%
lard 20%
shea butter 5%
rice bran oil 10%
castor oil 5%
Thanks

Reiterating that it's a personal preference. That being said, my son likes me to make

40% lard
25% olive
20% CO
10% Avocado oil (could swap for the RBO)
5% Shea

I have never really felt the need to use castor. If you want it, you could take 5% of the lard or olive to fit the castor back in.

Reiterating that it's a personal preference. That being said, my son likes me to make

40% lard
25% olive
20% CO
5% Shea

I have never really felt the need to use castor. If you want it, you could take 5% of the lard or olive to fit the castor back in.
Does castor oil help make the bar hard ?

40% lard
25% olive
20% CO
5% Shea

Does castor oil help make the bar hard

I'm part of the forum that uses lard in all my soaps. I also have old sensitive skin so my version of @AliOop 's recipe would be no more than 10% CO. I'd put the other 10% in a butter, or into the lard or the liquid oil....your choice. My preference for liquid oili RBO as I find that olive oil makes my skin itch. My hubby and grandson like bubbles so their soaps are 75% lard, 20% CO and 5 % castor oil, or skip the castor oil and use a 80/20 split for lard and CO.

Back