Is it my recipe or the silicone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermanam

Reaction score
I know that soap sometimes takes a bit longer to harden in silicone molds than in paper lined molds, but I am surprised mine is still pretty sticky to the sides. I just tried my new 5lb log mold from NSS, which I love for its easy silicone liner and see through lid. However, 36 hours later and my soap is still pretty soft and sticking to the sides when I pull them away. I have used other silicone loaf molds before and I don't remember having this issue. Is it my recipe or the mold?

5% castor
35% olive oil
25% coconut oil
30% palm oil
5% avocado oil

Try putting it in the freezer for a half hour. That's what I do with my silicone molds because of the "sticks to the sides" factor. Your recipe itself looks just fine. Hope this helps!
Cheers!
Anna Marie

I had the same issue at first. Someone recommended either adding sodium lactate or popping it in the freezer. I chose the freezer route. :)

Thanks...just stuck it in the freezer. I've been eager to unmold all day :)

I use those molds and I have never had soap stick - peels right off and I have a nice glossy surface. Do you gel? I do and also take a water discount.

Your recipe doesn't look like it would be prone to sticking, nice mix of hard and soft oils.

Hope the freezer works for you.

judymoody, I haven't had a problem with my 2:1 recipes. But on my recent 2.5:1's, I did. I've been using the silicone molds from ED, which are deeper than any of the other molds I've used. I almost always gel, and like to get the soap out of there after a 24 hr setup since it just seems so impermeable. Even if the soap is sticky, I want it out so it can dry and I can cut it sooner!

The freezer worked, thanks for the help. I still wonder why it is sticking to the sides. I do gel, but I don't water discount.

Judymoody, I really like these molds, especially for the clear top. Do you find the need to insulate the mold, or does the wooden box and clear cover do the trick? The website says there is usually no need to cover with these, but I still used a towel because I was worried about partial gel.

The freezer worked, thanks for the help. I still wonder why it is sticking to the sides. I do gel, but I don't water discount.

Judymoody, I really like these molds, especially for the clear top. Do you find the need to insulate the mold, or does the wooden box and clear cover do the trick? The website says there is usually no need to cover with these, but I still used a towel because I was worried about partial gel.

I usually warm the mold in a 170 degree oven for about 10 minutes before I pour my soap. I also insulate with an old towel, unless I'm using a problem FO or heating elements like sugars or milks.

judymoody, I haven't had a problem with my 2:1 recipes. But on my recent 2.5:1's, I did. I've been using the silicone molds from ED, which are deeper than any of the other molds I've used. I almost always gel, and like to get the soap out of there after a 24 hr setup since it just seems so impermeable. Even if the soap is sticky, I want it out so it can dry and I can cut it sooner!

There's your answer - water discount makes a huge difference. As somebody else mentioned, addition of sodium lactate at 1% of oil weight can also help with smooth unmolding. I generally don't find it necessary unless I'm going for an ungelled soap.

There's your answer - water discount makes a huge difference. As somebody else mentioned, addition of sodium lactate at 1% of oil weight can also help with smooth unmolding. I generally don't find it necessary unless I'm going for an ungelled soap.

Okay I am going to try a water discount next time. I'd like to try that before sodium lactate, which gave me crumbly edges the last time I tried it. Is 2:1 a good place to start? I know things might move a bit faster...anything else to watch out for? Thanks for the advice.

Okay I am going to try a water discount next time. I'd like to try that before sodium lactate, which gave me crumbly edges the last time I tried it. Is 2:1 a good place to start? I know things might move a bit faster...anything else to watch out for? Thanks for the advice.

how much sl did you use? i never got crumbly edges while using sl, that's why i'm curious.

2:1 is a good place to start. i soap with that ratio all the time, sometimes even less water. be gentler with the sb. you'll get used to it.

I think it was 1 tsp for a 2lb batch, but it's been a while so I could be wrong. I'm eager to see how the 2:1 water discount works.

^^^

yep. up to 2% as far as i've read in some blogs.

Latest posts

Back