How to fill in holes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! How to you fill in holes? Please don’t ask what this (was supposed to be)…is 🙃

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Hmmmm looks like a layered soap... perhaps a Challenge attempt? ;)

You could sacrifice your end cut to take bits of soap which you then spackle into smaller holes -- like patching nail holes in textured drywall. Terri of Tree Marie Soapworks on YT shows this in a few of her videos, thereby crushing my short-lived illusion that I'd come up with this genius idea that no other soapmaker had ever considered. 😁

However, I don't find that this technique works well for larger holes, some of which I'm seeing in the bar on the left, especially. That being said, there is no harm in trying. It could be good practice for a time when you really do want to pretty up a soap that is supposed to be a gift to someone, for instance.

All that aside, I love the dark and moody colors of these bars. They evoke green fields rolling down to the sea at twilight. 🤩

Last edited:

You can often sacrifice your end cut to take bits of soap which you then spackle into smaller holes -- like patching nail holes in textured drywall. Terri of Tree Marie Soapworks on YT shows this in a few of her videos, thereby crushing my short-lived illusion that I'd come up with this genius idea that no other soapmaker had ever considered. 😁
Yep, have spackled a few soaps in my early days of soaping, so not a new idea (not for me anyway), I thought of it ages ago when we were putting up gyprock, just use a butter knife with some of the fresh soap from an end piece and pack it in and smooth off, just wastes a lot of time.

You can often sacrifice your end cut to take bits of soap which you then spackle into smaller holes -- like patching nail holes in textured drywall. Terri of Tree Marie Soapworks on YT shows this in a few of her videos, thereby crushing my short-lived illusion that I'd come up with this genius idea that no other soapmaker had ever considered. 😁

However, I don't find that this technique works well for larger holes, some of which I'm seeing in the bar on the left, especially. That being said, there is no harm in trying. It could be good practice for a time when you really do want to pretty up a soap that is supposed to be a gift to someone, for instance.

All that aside, I love the dark and moody colors of these bars. They evoke green fields rolling down to the sea at twilight. 🤩
Yes, you guessed it and the whole story will come out after the competition date :) thank you, I will try the spackle technique.

Yes, you guessed it and the whole story will come out after the competition date :) thank you, I will try the spackle technique.
Well, since you have already posted a pic, this one cannot be your entry... so you are welcome to post about it any time in the Challenge thread. But I do understand if you aren't wanting to reveal your entire plan just yet. ;)

I love your soap. The dark colors are soothing. If this were my soap I would leave it as is and simply polish it and bevel the corners. A more adventurous solution may be to make a tiny new soap batch and pipe in teeny small stars or flowers into the holes. The challenge would be to find a piping bag that could survive a lye mix.

I think the spackling is the way to go. I have use slivers of soaps from the ends to shove into the holes (each hole with the coordinating colour), then spackle. It was actually quite fun, but I agree time consuming. Now if I do any fancy stuff I make sure to knock the crap out of it on the table to get the bubbles out. Your soap may have been too thick with the embeds/shreds in there. It will be interesting if you post another pic after your spackling.

Latest posts

Back