How much stick blending is too much?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gkwallace

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I make 15 to 20lbs of 100% tallow soap at a time and use my stick blender quite a bit. If I did't it, would take forever to reach trace mixing by hand.
I really don't see any adverse effects, but since I've never done it any other way, I wouldn't know.
Everything I've read says to use the blender sparingly. Is this relevant for such this quantity or am I missing something?
Thanks for the help!

Your suspicions are correct. :) That advice is for people who make much smaller batches of soap, and especially those who need a fluid soap batter for designs. In those cases, a few bursts of the stickblender will get the batter to emulsion, and even trace.

I've never met anyone who makes 15-20 lbs of soap at a time, but I'm sure they all do exactly what you do - blend blend blend until that big ole pot of batter is fully emulsified.

Your suspicions are correct. :) That advice is for people who make much smaller batches of soap, and especially those who need a fluid soap batter for designs. In those cases, a few bursts of the stickblender will get the batter to emulsion, and even trace.

I've never met anyone who makes 15-20 lbs of soap at a time, but I'm sure they all do exactly what you do - blend blend blend until that big ole pot of batter is fully emulsified.
Thanks for the reply.
I already make and sell waxes used for axe handles, furniture and canvas. I thought making soap was a pretty logical new product. All the same equipment pretty much.

Back