Herbalism Kit?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My BFF is getting into herbalism and wants to try her hand at tinctures and the like. I wanted to get something as a starter kit and figured I’d ask the trust forum!

I recently got the Mountain Rose magazine and looked at their site but nothing comes across as a beginner’s kit. Anyone know of something similar or suggest what I can do/get for her? It’s for her birthday.

I don't know that I'd get a kit of herbs, because the specific kind of herbs a person might want will depend on the person's interests.

IMO, a well written, sensible book might be more useful to get your friend started on the right foot. I respect Rosemary Gladstar and Susun Weed as two herbalists who provide fairly sensible, thoughtful advice. There are a lot of "woo woo" herbalists out there who don't have a sound foundation and sensible approach to herbalism.

Gladstar wrote an introductory book that covers a variety of good herbs for beginners to explore and also provides useful instructions on making various herbal preparations: https://www.amazon.com/Rosemary-Gladstars-Medicinal-Herbs-Beginners/dp/1612120059

Then maybe a gift card to Mountain Rose Herbs so she can choose ones she wants to try?

edit: I don't mind e-books for pleasure reading, but if I want a reference book and can only choose one format, I'll get it in hard copy form. Best of both worlds is both hardcopy and e-book. E-book for fast searches and hardcopy for studying.

Thanks, @DeeAnna. I will check out those ladies. I did want to go with something more reputable.

I was also thinking a book and gift certificate would probably be the best way to go. I could probably get her some actual physical supplies like some jars/bottles and leave the herbs to her choosing.

Latest posts

Back