Glycerine M&P floating issue.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleginger73

Reaction score
I tried to search for help on this but couldn't find it. Anything I add to the glycerine soap floats to the top, even when it's chopped fine.....is there something I can do to avoid this? Thanks?

M&P embeds are all about the consistency of the soap and spritzing everything with alcohol. If your soap is too thin, embeds tend to sink. If it is too thick or has trapped air pockets, it tends to float. Try liberally spritzing the embeds before adding to your soap. Good luck!

Are you trying to put imbeds in the bars, or do you mean trying to add extra oils to it?

Sorry, I mean adding things like chopped oatmeal or lavender or ground tea. It all floats to the top and doesn't get suspended.

littleginger73, wait for your melted MP base to cool a bit before adding very lightweight ingredients. They will distribute better. Short of that, you can pour a layer of soap, wait for it to form a thin skin, sprinkle some ingredients, trap them in another coolish layer of soap, etc. It's the ultra-careful way and you may end up with the layers showing slightly from the sides in the finished product. Just remember to spritz the ever-loving life out of each layer. And most herbs and botanicals like tea will end up turning black or brown or bleeding their color into your MP. Good luck!

Back