Fist two 2 inch cuts broke in half

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsta

Reaction score
2nd loaf Ive ever made as super newbie šŸ˜Œ waited 72 hours to cut this.15 %coconut and 10 lard 15 shea butter 30 tallow 10 olive oil 10 castor oil
1 teapoon td 1 teaspoon blue mica 1 teaspoon gold mica 5 supernatural water discount 5 %

Attachments

• 20241018_220248.jpg
    20241018_220248.jpg
    1.2 MB
@Robsta , those are really nice colors. IF you post your complete recipe, it will be easier for others to try to guess why your soap broke. But, offhand, I'd say that 72 hours seems like a long time to wait to cut your loaf. Did you use soapcalc to make sure you had all the oils, etc. you needed? I kept only getting 90% of oils, not 100%. So, I think you left off an oil. But, you have 70% hard oils and 20 % liquid oils. So, that should be a nice hard bar, even if you had 10% more of a liquid oil. Depending on how big your loaf was, maybe alot of additives? Anyway, pretty soap! Congratulations!

Recipes with a larger % of tallow can be borderline brittle soon after it's made, so my guess is you needed to have cut sooner.

You have to cut soap when it's ready to be cut; you can't necessarily go by the clock. That's especially true when making a recipe new to you.

Rather than bore others with copied and pasted stuff, here's a link to an article I wrote that may be helpful to you: https://classicbells.com/soap/cutting.asp

Back