First batch ready for family

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gal Magen

Reaction score
Hi there!

First batch of 2 soap types
100% olive oil and 70% olive 30% coconut oil

IMG_20240921_181454.jpg
IMG_20240921_172629.jpg
IMG_20240921_172559.jpg

I didn't believe how satisfying is to see the end result

The coconut soap cured for 1 month
It started to show some white spots like poder
IMG_20240921_170857.jpg

What is it?
Can I use the soap?
I have used for myself one of them, it feels grate

Thank you

Last edited:
Your soap and packaging are beautiful! As far as the white stuff goes, it looks like a combination of stearic spots and soda ash, both of which are harmless, just maybe not the look you intended. Soda ash is seen more often in recipes with a high water content or if you don’t gel your soaps. You can plane the bottoms off if you want or you can steam it off or even wash it off under the tap. As for the white speckles, those may be palmitic or stearic spots which can be caused by using oils with a high stearic or palmitic acid content and not melting the oils to a high enough temp. Here’s a good article:

https://lovinsoap.com/2017/01/white-spots-in-soap/

Your soap and packaging are beautiful! As far as the white stuff goes, it looks like a combination of stearic spots and soda ash, both of which are harmless, just maybe not the look you intended. Soda ash is seen more often in recipes with a high water content or if you don’t gel your soaps. You can plane the bottoms off if you want or you can steam it off or even wash it off under the tap. As for the white speckles, those may be palmitic or stearic spots which can be caused by using oils with a high stearic or palmitic acid content and not melting the oils to a high enough temp. Here’s a good article:

https://lovinsoap.com/2017/01/white-spots-in-soap/
I appreciate your detailed information
The oils that used on the soap are olive 70% and coconut 30%

I will go thru the article and learn for the next time

I actually like the soda ash look, gives an old look to it :)

Latest posts

Back