Exfoliating soap with two oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The ingredients for this soap states:

Organic Babassu Seed Oil, Organic Olive Fruit Oil, Big Sur Sea Salt, French Blue Clay, Organic Black Poppyseeds, Organic Peppermint Essential Oil, Sodium Hydroxide

This probably takes a long cure time?

Not necessarily, the salt will help it to harden. Zany’s no-slime Castile is very usable in 4 weeks. It does get better with a longer cure though.
How would you construct it? Playing around with soapcalc I'm thinking I want to optimize for conditioning vs cleansing?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 10.39.33 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-19 at 10.39.33 AM.png
    412.1 KB · Views: 0
@ewhitake You seem to have a knack for finding unusual soaps to replicate! I'm going to speculate that the recipe will harden quickly, salt or not. With the Babassu oil listed first, and only two oils in the soap, the Babassu should be 50% or more of the oils. That's assuming they listed the ingredients in order based on weight. Babassu is a high lauric (50%) + myristic (20%) fat, and like coconut oil will produce a highly cleansing soap unless you up the superfat. The salt content in this bar could be as much as 50% of the weight of the oils, which seems possible given the number of poppy seeds in the soap. I've always been wary of using poppy seeds in abundance. If you make the soap, I hope you will report back.

@ewhitake You seem to have a knack for finding unusual soaps to replicate! I'm going to speculate that the recipe will harden quickly, salt or not. With the Babassu oil listed first, and only two oils in the soap, the Babassu should be 50% or more of the oils. That's assuming they listed the ingredients in order based on weight. Babassu is a high lauric (50%) + myristic (20%) fat, and like coconut oil will produce a highly cleansing soap unless you up the superfat. The salt content in this bar could be as much as 50% of the weight of the oils, which seems possible given the number of poppy seeds in the soap. I've always been wary of using poppy seeds in abundance. If you make the soap, I hope you will report back.
lol!!! That’s me!! Unusual me, hehe!! Thank you for help with the formula. I will definitely report back!! Going to buy poppy seeds today!! BTW, do you thin the seeds are about 10%?

I'm just wondering how you picked this one to replicate. Is this a soap that you or a friend likes?
This foray started with something I read somewhere. I think it was an add or something. Starting down this dark path of making when my son asked for a dup of beard serum and soap. Now I regularly look at the ingredients of everything! Reading the website for this soap it irritated me that they charged almost $50 for a large block of the stuff. So I decided to make it and see what all the fuss was about 🤔

Yeah - I tend to measure seeds as tablespoons rather than a percentage of oil weight.
I don't think they listed the ingredients in order Mobjack - the sodium hydroxide would not weigh less than the peppermint essential oil.

They listed the sodium hydroxide last, but, I thought that it was possible the other ingredients were in order. After looking at the ingredient lists for their other soaps, it seems less likely, e.g. the base recipe for other soaps is given like this:

Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Orbignya Oleifera (Babassu) Seed Oil*, [other liquid or Hydrosol], Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Hydroxide**

I was thinking the same thing. I’m assuming this manufacturer is going for the all natural vibe and if you listed ingredients by concentration it might mislead their target market. Notice how they explain what the NaOH is for? So you don’t frighten the horses 😏
Anyway, I’ll see today if my experiment works. I’m really curious how the poppy seeds feel as an exfoliatant 🤔

So this is how my experiment turned out. I took some shavings and washed with it. Super great lather!! But not sure if I like the feel of poppyseeds. I’m really used to the gritter feel of larger pieces of salt. (Salt was added to this recipe, but since I figured the puppy seeds were doing the exfoliation, I ground the salt, very finely not wanting to have a double whammy of salt AND poppyseed scrub. Just hoping the salt would impart its minimally goodness into the soap.) But if you have sensitive skin maybe poppyseeds feel better and do the same thing?
It seems a wee bit crumbly but that may change with cure time. Or maybe I should have cut it sooner 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_0247.jpeg
    IMG_0247.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The soap looks pretty. What percentage of poppy seeds did you go with?
So here is the soaps in my shower. The blue has poppyseeds at 4.5%. I need to cut this maybe to 3%. The soap was fantastic but a little too scratchy for me.
The Red is the same formula but with salt at 4.5%. Way softer scrub, lather is kind of red (paprika infused oil) but I’m loving the feeling after rinse off!! 😏

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpeg
    IMG_0289.jpeg
    508.2 KB · Views: 0
Back