Emulsified Sugar Scrub Questions!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaraS.

Reaction score
I am new to this site, but I have been looking at it for many of my questions, I was wondering if someone could help me understand if this recipe would, in theory, work?
I mixed two different recipes from online but I am uncertain if the recipe will be successful or a disaster!

4g FSS Emulsifying Wax C20
3g cetyl alcohol

56g glycerin
xanthan gum
30g water

25g kokum butter
25g jojoba oil
25g hempseed oil
25g avocado oil
25g polyglyceryl-3 oleate
25g OliveM 300

fragrance
germall plus
572g sugar

I love the idea of xanthan gum turning it gel like but i also love the milky-ness the polyglyceryl-3 oleate and OliveM300 give it, so i wanted to do both?

I am new to all of this and any help would be greatly appreciated!

I didn’t see an amount listed above for the xanthan gum, but usually for sugar scrubs, it is pretty low. I’ve not seen it create a gel consistency in this type of recipe, but it does stabilize the emulsion and add viscosity.

Bottom line, I don’t see any reason not to try the recipe. If you do, let us know how it turns out. 😊

I have this recipe to make sugar scrub cubes. 2 oz. M & P, 1 ounce almond oil, 1 ounce hemp oil, 6 ounces sugar. 9 ml emulsifying wax. Every recipie have seen regarding sugar scrub cubes doesn't add Emulsifying Wax and I am wondering why? I have made the cubes with and without the wax, and I cant tell the difference. Is it because I am not using enough? or should I not use it at all. Thanks All!

Recipes for sugar scrubs can be so confusing, because there are so many variations:

~emulsified v. non-emulsified
~foaming v. non-foaming
~paste v. cubes v. piped shapes v. rolled, etc.

An emulsifier helps the oils in the scrub to disperse across your skin, and for the oil that hit the floor, to wash down the drain, rather than leaving your floor oily and slick. For that reason alone, I really prefer emulsified scrubs.

The recipe that I prefer for foaming sugar scrub cubes is from DIY Bath & Body (of course, lol). It is one of the free recipes on her FB page if you join that group. It does have a few more ingredients than yours, including SLSa to add foaming and cleansing properties in addition to what is provided by some M&P base. It also uses a foaming bath butter base, but you may be able to adjust the amount of M&P base instead.

Iv'e heard of that site before, DIY Bath & Body, just cant find it. anyway, I would prefer to use what I have on hand rather than buying more ingredients. Would you know if I am using enough Emulsifying Wax, or too much acording to my recipe ingredients?

Is DIY Bath & Body on you tube?

It's an Etsy store, found here. Their FB page is here.

It's really hard to say whether you are using "enough" e-wax because I don't know what pre-use texture or post-use skin feel you want, or what you don't like about the current recipe.

It would also be much more helpful to share your recipe in percentages, or at least, all in consistent weight units (oz or g). You listed the e-wax in volume (ml), which is very unusual for a non-liquid ingredient and makes it hard to determine what percentage that works out to be compared to the other ingredients.

You can use this percentage calculator to translate your recipe from weight to percentage using the Percentage Calculator in Common Phrases box. But you will first have to change your e-wax to oz instead of ml.

Once you have done that, put the oz weight of your first ingredient in the first box, and your total recipe weight in the second box. Then click Calculate. Repeat that for each ingredient. Your percentages should add up to 100 when you are done.

It's really hard to say whether you are using "enough" e-wax because I don't know what pre-use texture or post-use skin feel you want, or what you don't like about the current recipe.

It would also be much more helpful to share your recipe in percentages, or at least, all in consistent weight units (oz or g). You listed the e-wax in volume (ml), which is very unusual for a non-liquid ingredient and makes it hard to determine what percentage that works out to be compared to the other ingredients.

You can use this percentage calculator to translate your recipe from weight to percentage using the

You can use this percentage calculator to translate your recipe from weight to percentage using the Percentage Calculator in Common Phrases box. But you will first have to change your e-wax to oz instead of ml.

Once you have done that, put the oz weight of your first ingredient in the first box, and your total recipe weight in the second box. Then click Calculate. Repeat that for each ingredient. Your percentages should add up to 100 when you are done.

box. But you will first have to change your e-wax to oz instead of ml.

ok Ill do your suggestios and get back to you! thanks!

ok so the recipe is melt & pour 2%, Almond oil 2%, Sugar 6%, and e wax is 0.3%. I hope thats right, Im not that great at math, even if its staring me in the face....

ok so the recipe is melt & pour 2%, Almond oil 2%, Sugar 6%, and e wax is 0.3%. I hope thats right, Im not that great at math, even if its staring me in the face....
That only works out to be 10.3% so something is definitely off.

If I add up all the ingredients you listed, your total batch weight appears to be 10.3 oz. Is that the number you used for the second box in the calculator? This is what it looks like for 2 oz of M&P:
Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 12.24.43 PM.png
So the M&P is 19.4% of your recipe, not 2%.

That only works out to be 10.3% so something is definitely off.

If I add up all the ingredients you listed, your total batch weight appears to be 10.3 oz. Is that the number you used for the second box in the calculator? This is what it looks like for 2 oz of M&P:
View attachment 79138
So the M&P is 19.4% of your recipe, not 2%.
That is not the number I used. I used the first box to get the percentage, which I thought was 2%, but obviously that was wrong. Let me try again. I changed the. e-wax to. oz, which came out to 0.3 ounces.

Last edited:
ok here I am again--- e wax 0.3 equals 2.91%, oil, 19.41%, 19.41% base, sugar, 58.25%. If this is wrong, I need to go back to school... Why does the recipe need to be in percents, when you have to change it back to ounces? I don't get it.

Back