Elderberry flowers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiesoap

Reaction score
I have an abundance of blooming elderberry plants, can these be used in cp in some way? I think I've heard there are skin benefits to various parts of the elderberry plant. Could the flowers be dried and added at trace or infused in the oils, etc. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

in my experience the only flowers that don't turn brown and create little moist spots in the soap are calendula petals. i've had good luck putting cornflowers on top without discoloration or browning -- but in the soap, forget the lovely color.

believe me, i've tried many, many herbs and flowers, and all with less-than-aesthetically pleasing results. that said, i've seen many lovely bars with brown or black petals and leaves, if you like a really rustic natural look. even a black rose soap, which was truly beautiful. soon i'm going to experiment with finely shredded white sage and hope for the best!

i suggest experimenting with a small batch -- it may be lovely. and i love your idea of infusing some in the oils. it may not survive the lye monster, but hey, what are you out but a little of your garden bounty :) will be eager to hear your results! here's a picture of a very pretty elderberry soap: http://www.thebotanicalsoapshop.com/soa ... flower.php

really? even added at trace? I saw awhile ago CP soap made with little lavender buds, will that burn as well?

I know the beautiful color from the berries turns this ugly dark gray in CP. Wait am i even talking about the same plant? I know I eat toast with homemade elderberry jelly almost every morn. Sorry if Im waaaaay off.

Latest posts

Back