Dry vs Liquid extras

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use dry powdered milk and colloidal oats. I mix them into the oils before adding the lye solution. It works just fine, and my testers can’t tell any difference from fresh goat milk.

I do prefer to mix my clays a bit before mixing them in, whether in oils or a bit of water. They disperse better that way and don’t thicken the batter as quickly. But that’s just my personal preference (and the way Holly of Holly’s Soapmaking does it in her YT videos, as well).

There is a fairly long set of posts here by a former member, Savage Daughter, who explained how she presoaks her clays with her EOs to make the EOs stick better. I imagine that would also help them disperse better into the batter.

Last edited:
I use dry powdered milk and colloidal oats. I mix them into the oils before adding the lye solution. It works just fine, and my testers can’t tell any difference from fresh goat milk.

I do prefer to mix my clays a bit before mixing them in, whether in oils or a bit of water. They disperse better that way and don’t thicken the batter as quickly. But that’s just my personal preference (and the way Holly of Holly’s Soapmaking does it in her YT videos, as well).

There is a fairly long set of posts here by a former member, Savage Daughter, who explained how she presoaks her clays with her EOs to make the EOs stick better. I imagine that would also help them disperse better into the batter.
I like to freeze my milks or do the milk-in-oil method I saw on Holly’s channel. And I also use her method of dispersing clays and TD. Love her channel, BTW!! Since I can buy goat milk at the grocery store I didn’t even think about the powdered variety. I guess there wouldn’t really be a difference just a matter of personal preference.
Speaking of oats, what does colloidal oats do to soap?

@ewhitake if you have ever used Aveeno bath products, those contain compounds found in colloidal oats. For many folks, they are very skin-soothing, but it depends on your skin.

Last edited:
I've found that powdered is less likely to turn your soap an ugly brown and less likely to scorch.
Hey @MelissaG - I've been making mostly goats milk soap (using frozen goat's milk or using the milk-in-oil method) and soaping at really low temps (well under 90 degrees) and haven't run into scorching or ugly brown. Do you like to soap hotter?

Adding dry milk powder to soap is different from using liquid milk because dry milk doesn't add extra water. This helps keep the soap's texture just right. Liquid milk adds more water, which can change how the soap forms and might need recipe changes. Dry milk is also easier to use and lasts longer without spoiling
Interesting...and I see your point. But does it change the texture of the soap? Maybe I need to do a couple of comparison batches 🥸

Adding dry milk powder to soap is different from using liquid milk because dry milk doesn't add extra water. This helps keep the soap's texture just right. Liquid milk adds more water, which can change how the soap forms and might need recipe changes. Dry milk is also easier to use and lasts longer without spoiling
Soapers who use liquid milk simply adjust the amount of water to account for the milk. So, there is no texture difference in the finished product. :)

Hey @MelissaG - I've been making mostly goats milk soap (using frozen goat's milk or using the milk-in-oil method) and soaping at really low temps (well under 90 degrees) and haven't run into scorching or ugly brown. Do you like to soap hotter?

I don't use the ice cube method. I've found its a major pain. I just found the powder to make things way easier.

I use 3% of oils (30g GMP for a batch with 1000g fats). Curious how much others use. 😊
I read (somewhere) to use 1TB powder ppo but like weighing as it seems easier to scale.
Last month I made 3 batches, one with goat milk powder, one with coconut milk powder and one with colloidal oats. Waiting for them to cure so I can have my testers review them.
I am also curious to know what others do.

Curious to know if you’re adding to increase creaminess or for label appeal?
It’s not for label appeal for me, I make soaps for me and my friends and family. I love GMS, and with rare exception, it’s all I make. I find it so nice on my skin. Gentle, creamy, and just feels extra luxurious to me. 😊

Back