Does anyone know what's going on here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleginger73

Reaction score
The corners are a bit darker and its very crumbly like a cheesecake. It's been out of the mold since Sunday and its Wednesday.. Should I let it dry for several weeks to see what it will do ior do I need to ditch it ?
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1414628465.461651.jpg

"Crumbly like a cheesecake" are words that are a very apt description of un-gelled soap. It sounds to me like the gel stage did not quite make it all the way to the edges of your soap. No worries, though. If it were me, I would just leave the soap alone to air dry/cure for a week or 2 and then apply the zap-test to it.

IrishLass :)

No, no need to trim the edges IMO. They will still cure just fine, and the very little bit of visual difference will lessen.

If you aren't going to sell the soap, then don't worry about it. Worst case scenario is that it will come off the first couple of times you use it. If it really bugs you, then yes, you can trim it off.

I had this same exact thing happen to me this week with an unscented soap I made. I unmolded it last night after 24 hours, the top was hard, the sides were soft and the bottom was firmer than the sides. I cut it and about 1/8" of the bottom was dry and crumbly everytime I cut it. :thumbdown:

IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

I've had that happen. You may not have a reached a full trace in your mixing. Once I got a feel for what a good trace looks like, I haven't had it since. The recommendation on gel is good too; although, in soaps where your intentionally prevent gel by freezing, this usually isn't an issue. Just to be safe, be sure to wrap your mold completely in a couple of thick towels to produce a more even temperature during gel phase.

Back