Do you measure FO's & EO's by volume or weight?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinyVineyardSoaps

Reaction score
So it occurred to me that maybe I'm not measuring my fragrances correctly? Most of my customers like the potency of fragrance in my products, but I'm going to branch into using more EO's and know I need to be more cautious with them since you're to use a percentage per weight of oils. (I know that rule applies to FO's, but EO's seem to have more health impacts to consider.) which makes me wonder. Should I measure the fragrances by weight or volume? I've been going by weight for pretty much everything (oils, butters, etc) for my CP soap and lotion bars, including the fragrances. Is that correct or am I worrying needlessly?

I always use weight for everything, just because that keeps consistency. If I need a % of oils and switch from weight to volume the total I add would change. I don't have a comparison for FO/EOs but I do have a spreadsheet that tells me the weight equivalent of volume measurements of the various oils. For example, if you use 10 oz of olive oil, that is 10.9 oz if you measure by volume. That is true for several liquid oils but babassu oil is 10 in weight and 11.1 oz in volume. lard is 10/10.8 and sweet almond is 10/10.5. These that I have mentioned, in these differences, are between 5-11% change of the weight. So, for me I go with weight for everything.

I do mine by volume. My scale measures in fractions rather than decimals, so the smallest I can get is 1/8. It goes from 1/8, 1/4, 1/2.

Plus, I just "grew up" as a soap maker measuring my FOs and EOs by volume.

I measure my fragrance oils by volume in mL using plastic transfer pipettes (love them!). I usually make small batches and my scale doesn't seem to reliably pick up on very small quantities of fragrance oils, so I get more consistent results this way. Everything else (water, lye, oils, etc.) I measure by weight in grams.

Here's a good thread on weighing and pouring

So it occurred to me that maybe I'm not measuring my fragrances correctly? Most of my customers like the potency of fragrance in my products, but I'm going to branch into using more EO's and know I need to be more cautious with them since you're to use a percentage per weight of oils. (I know that rule applies to FO's, but EO's seem to have more health impacts to consider.) which makes me wonder. Should I measure the fragrances by weight or volume? I've been going by weight for pretty much everything (oils, butters, etc) for my CP soap and lotion bars, including the fragrances. Is that correct or am I worrying needlessly?

Weight. You can get a great reliable scale from TKB trading that measures to the 1/100th gram for around $13. I think it's called the itty bitty scale.

For EOs, this forum recommends a maximum of 3 % for EO amount with respect to soaping oils weight.

I go by volume. Most EOs are a little less dense than water so I just convert grams to mL. (If the EO is has an IFRA limit I check the density to make sure going by volume won't mean going over). I use a glass syringe and was using plastic transfer pipettes (10mL and 25mL) but quite a few EOs dissolve plastic so I am shopping for glass. If you're interested in a syringe or a glass transfer pipette I'll tell you what to look for.

I measure by volume in a small glass measuring cylinder. I nabbed it from work when they were skipping a load of glassware. I think you can buy them online though.

Latest posts

Back