Confused about ingredient list for label?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgirl2002

Reaction score
So, I am thuroughly confused on the ingredient list label, that I would like to include. I did purchase the book that Marie Gale wrote and did my own research through the government sights. I use BB color blocks to save time in my M&P bases, I currently only use the M&P method for health reasons. Would I list the common name ingredients? A few of the ones I use have tin dioxide which i didn't see listed on the FDA sight as being exempt? Also when using essential oils, do I need to put the common name or list it as fragrance? Would that fall under the trade secret bylaws? I tried to search the forum and couldn't find any info. Thanks in advance.

Hey! I feel you, labeling can be super confusing! For M&P soaps, you'd typically list the common name ingredients. For color blocks with tin dioxide, you might need to list it as "CI 77891" (its INCI name) since it's not exempt from labeling. For essential oils, you can list them by their common name (e.g. "Lavender Oil") or as "Fragrance" if you're concerned about trade secrets. But if you do choose to list as "Fragrance", you'll need to make sure you're complying with the FDA's fragrance labeling rules. Hope that helps clarify things a bit!

Hey! I feel you, labeling can be super confusing! For M&P soaps, you'd typically list the common name ingredients. For color blocks with tin dioxide, you might need to list it as "CI 77891" (its INCI name) since it's not exempt from labeling. For essential oils, you can list them by their common name (e.g. "Lavender Oil") or as "Fragrance" if you're concerned about trade secrets. But if you do choose to list as "Fragrance", you'll need to make sure you're complying with the FDA's fragrance labeling rules. Hope that helps clarify things a bit!
Thank you! That was quite helpful! I did find out through Maie Gale that tin dioxide, while not on the list, it isn't necessary. "In some cases, a blended color additive might contain other ingredients that don’t need to be on the approved color additive list. An example is tin dioxide, which is used as a bulking agent, opacifier, or texturizing agent." Just throwing it up here in case someone else fonds it helpful.

Back