Can regular M&P soap base be used for Foaming Whipped Sugar Scrub?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akseattle

Reaction score
@Pru posted a link to an Ellen Ruth Soap Utube to make a Foaming Whipped Sugar Scrub. I thought I'd move the discussion to the M&P forum since it is made with M&P base.
I watched that video.

I have a couple different lemon based FO's that I've been wanting try out. I think this Foaming Whipped Sugar Scrub would be perfect. But, I have a couple questions.

The box that Ellen Ruth's soap came in said Melt & Pour "Crystal Soap Base." During her demonstration, she said you could buy pre-made "whipped soap base." I don't know if she misspoke, but she refers to her base a couple times as "the Whip". My base has to be cut with a knife (or something). She was scooping her base out of the box with an ice cream paddle.

I looked on the internet, it looks like Crystal Soap Base is a little different than a regular soap base (like exfoliants suspend in it better?) Also there is a "Whipped soap base" that can be bought.

I have regular soap base (goatmilk, triple butter, coconut, charcoal, and clear.) I want to use what I have. My triple butter is from Primal Elements, it is Mango, Shea & Cocoa Butter.
@Pru, you also had a triple butter. Is it just a normal triple butter base or is it a "crystal" or a "whipped" base?
So, my first question: Can I use a regular base for this Foaming Whipped Sugar Scrub?
Question 2: Ellen Ruth used the preservative Optiphen. Is this the preservative you used? I haven't yet bought a preservative. I had been considering ROE but I know so little about preservatives, I'm not sure what to get.

@Pru, you had asked about arrowroot to make your soap less oily. I've never used arrowroot for any purpose, but from what I've read it's used like a clay to help FO's or EO's to stick longer. But, it seems like clays also do other things in soap, so maybe arrowroot does too?

I've never used a crystal M&P base, but I have used a jelly soap base (also M&P) to make sugar scrubs. They turned out great when mixed 50-50 with the DIY B&B foaming bath butter base. The end results was a little more drying than the straight B&B base recipe, but lots more foam/bubbles.

Psssstt.... Discussions about a bath product other than soap normally go in the Bath & Body Forum. ;)

@AliOop thanks, I'm starting to think that my regular M&P base will not work for these scrubs.:( oh well,🤷‍♀️ I think I can still try to make some liquid soap with it.'

I've never used a crystal M&P base, but I have used a jelly soap base (also M&P) to make sugar scrubs. They turned out great when mixed 50-50 with the DIY B&B foaming bath butter base. The end results was a little more drying than the straight B&B base recipe, but lots more foam/bubbles.

Psssstt.... Discussions about a bath product other than soap normally go in the Bath & Body Forum. ;)
I thought I was ahead of the game going to the M&P forum 🤷‍♀️ that fine print ... it'll get you every time!!!

Back