Are all essential oils safe for soap making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleginger73

Reaction score
I saw some at a local nutrition store that smelled great and I would like to use in soap.. But my question before I buy them is, are there some to avoid due to not being safe for using in soap? I really want to try paper mint and rose water..thanks!

Peppermint and spearmint EOs are safe for soap making (and also lip balm). However, I can't speak to the particular brand your healthfood store is. Some will carry "peppermint oil" and it's peppermint EO mixed with mineral oil, or alcohol. Those are not suitable for soap.

Also, you can use rose water in soap, but the soap will gobble it up, so you won't get any scent or benefits from it.

Be a little careful with the peppermint. It can be irritating especially when used on, ummm, sensitive parts of the body. It tingles on the skin - not necessarily in a good way.:shock:

Lol yeah the peppermint I could see it burning a little. What about the DoTerra essential oils.. Would they all be safe?

You can save a lot of money and get the same/better results from buying your essential oils from a soap supply company like Brambleberry, New Directions, Wholesale Supplies Plus, etc. Just a suggestion. :)

I saw some at a local nutrition store that smelled great and I would like to use in soap.. But my question before I buy them is, are there some to avoid due to not being safe for using in soap? I really want to try paper mint and rose water..thanks!

The short answer to the question "Are all EOs safe for use in soap or skin care products?" is no. There are a lot of EOs out there, and some are only safe for aromatherapy. The same with FOs - some are safe from skin, and some are for candles only. Beyond that, the EOs an FOs have usage recommendations in your products that you should not exceed. The good news is that peppermint and rose are two EOs that are skin-safe when used at the appropriate levels.

I agree with snappyllana...DoTerra and YL are way too expensive to use in soap. You can buy the same quality EO's from many suppliers at much better prices. I have used the NOW brand from health food stores and they work pretty well. That was when I first started out so not sure on prices now.

Do a little homework on each essential oil before use and take good note of the contraindications - some, like lavender, are quite forgiving and mostly safe.

Peppermint has contraindications with small children and people with cardiac fibrillation, but as long as you use the correct amount and label your soap properly you should be fine.

I've never used rose infused water in soaps, but as dixiedragon said, it won't change the scent of the soap. You could try a rose fragrance oil, as the rose essential oil here is $44 for 2mL alone - probably not worth buying unless you are filthy rich!

Rose geranium EO is a good substitute for rose EO. I love it! In fact, some avid rose gardners also grow rose geranium, and mix the leaves into their bouquets and flower arrangements to boost the rosey smell.

I don't know about the cedarwood eo from Wholesale Supplies Plus (I found it weaker than my Bulk Apothecary cedarwood), but snappyllama has a point about buying the oils from a soaping site. You may even end up buying a better quality eo from online retailers in addition to possibly getting more for your money.

Try out bulk apothecary as well for some eos.

Back