Aluminum Soap Decorating Tool

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastel

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I found this tool and when I read the materials it was made of aluminum
I have seen some soap makers use it, my question is: Isn't fresh soap supposed to not come into contact with aluminum?
Is there a tool like this made of stainless steel ?
IMG_3483.jpeg

Fresh soap yes. But the soap you use to make these forms won't be fresh. It will be at least three days old before it's used. Soap dough has already undergone saponification, it just hasn't hardened.
Yes, that's true.
But what confuses me is the recommendation not to leave soaps to dry and cure on metal shelves, especially aluminum. Wouldn't this apply to soap dough?

...But what confuses me is the recommendation not to leave soaps to dry and cure on metal shelves, especially aluminum. Wouldn't this apply to soap dough?

First, we don't know if the maker's soap is fully saponified when it's cut and placed on a rack to cure. It might be mostly done, but even that last 1-2% of saponification will react with aluminum and cause it to deteriorate. I can show you one of my aluminum cookie sheets as proof that freshly made soap can deteriorate aluminum. (Soap that I thought was fully saponified, but obviously wasn't)

Second, it takes weeks, even months, for soap to cure, so soap on metal racks is exposed to that metal for a long time. Soap is fairly sensitive to going rancid from exposure to metals and the longer the soap is exposed, the greater the chance to develop rancidity. Some metals such as iron and copper are especially bad. Even if the rack is coated with paint or other covering, metal ions can migrate through these coatings and trigger rancidity in the soap.

You're going to be using soap dough that's older so it's more likely to be fully saponified. Also the soap dough is exposed to the aluminum tool for only a short time -- minutes to hours, not weeks to months. Your situation is low risk compared to curing soap on metal racks.

First, we don't know if the maker's soap is fully saponified when it's cut and placed on a rack to cure. It might be mostly done, but even that last 1-2% of saponification will react with aluminum and cause it to deteriorate. I can show you one of my aluminum cookie sheets as proof that freshly made soap can deteriorate aluminum. (Soap that I thought was fully saponified, but obviously wasn't)

Second, it takes weeks, even months, for soap to cure, so soap on metal racks is exposed to that metal for a long time. Soap is fairly sensitive to going rancid from exposure to metals and the longer the soap is exposed, the greater the chance to develop rancidity. Some metals such as iron and copper are especially bad. Even if the rack is coated with paint or other covering, metal ions can migrate through these coatings and trigger rancidity in the soap.

You're going to be using soap dough that's older so it's more likely to be fully saponified. Also the soap dough is exposed to the aluminum tool for only a short time -- minutes to hours, not weeks to months. Your situation is low risk compared to curing soap on metal racks.
Thank you very much for this complete answer. It has cleared up my confusion.

Fully saponified soap dough, for sure. I love mine, although I haven’t found many uses for it yet. Currently, I use the disk that looks like a rain drop to make black seeds for my watermelon soap, but that’s all.
I sure wish I could find other disks so I could use it more…..
ETA - just found them on ETSY

Last edited:
Fully saponified soap dough, for sure. I love mine, although I haven’t found many uses for it yet. Currently, I use the disk that looks like a rain drop to make black seeds for my watermelon soap, but that’s all.
I sure wish I could find other disks so I could use it more…..
ETA - just found them on ETSY
Haha I also bought it specifically for watermelon seeds

Haha I also bought it specifically for watermelon seeds
Do NOT mention this to our husbands, LOL!

JK, mine has plenty of specialized tools in his workshop, and he almost never complains about mine (unless it's because they used to be his and suddenly became mine without notice or warning, as in):

DH: "Honey, is my heat gun in your soap room?"

ME: "No, but MY heat gun is there, and you are welcome to borrow it... but bring it right back when you are done with it."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back