Advice for new candle maker

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
Okay, so it’s my first time making candles and I need some advice from the pros. I am using GW 402 soy wax and yellow beeswax at a 50/50 ratio with 10% FO. I also am using wood wicks.

My first pour had bad cracks and shrinkage, also the wick was too narrow for the container and didn’t burn well. I did a re-pour with a wider wick and it’s burning quite nicely now.

My question is what can I do to prevent cracks and shrinkage? What temperature should I get the wax up to, and what temperature should I pour at? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Okay, so it’s my first time making candles and I need some advice from the pros. I am using GW 402 soy wax and yellow beeswax at a 50/50 ratio with 10% FO. I also am using wood wicks.

My first pour had bad cracks and shrinkage, also the wick was too narrow for the container and didn’t burn well. I did a re-pour with a wider wick and it’s burning quite nicely now.

My question is what can I do to prevent cracks and shrinkage? What temperature should I get the wax up to, and what temperature should I pour at? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
the only thing I think that is "wrong" about this, that is causing the cracking and shrinkage is the % of the beeswax. Beeswax is a very hard wax and is prone to cracking and shrinking. You don't need a lot of beeswax to harden the soy. I would drop the beeswax significantly and do a 70/30 ratio to start with. If it's still cracking drop to 80/20, then go down in increments of 5% if it's still cracking. Lowering the % of beeswax will also increase the scent throw, as beeswax is hard to get a scent to throw in.

Note, it will also crack more if it cools too quickly. Because beeswax is so hard and has a high melting point, so you need it to get pretty hot to melt fully. With a slow cool, it lessens the possiblity of cracking and there will be less shrinkage.

HTH

the only thing I think that is "wrong" about this, that is causing the cracking and shrinkage is the % of the beeswax. Beeswax is a very hard wax and is prone to cracking and shrinking. You don't need a lot of beeswax to harden the soy. I would drop the beeswax significantly and do a 70/30 ratio to start with. If it's still cracking drop to 80/20, then go down in increments of 5% if it's still cracking. Lowering the % of beeswax will also increase the scent throw, as beeswax is hard to get a scent to throw in.

Note, it will also crack more if it cools too quickly. Because beeswax is so hard and has a high melting point, so you need it to get pretty hot to melt fully. With a slow cool, it lessens the possiblity of cracking and there will be less shrinkage.

HTH
Great thank you so much for the great advice. I will go ahead and try the 70/30 blend and see how that performs. I’m also glad that it will provide a better scent throw. Thanks again!!!

Latest posts

Back