Addicted to Planing my Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
I bought a lovely planer of etsy and I love just standing there and cleaning up every single bar, especially when dramatic differences like so happen. I'm sure it is easy to tell the before and after. Though please disregard the blue dots of my blue ultramarine that didn't get dispersed as well as I would like even though I used my mini mixer. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1389242499.403042.jpg

I have been trimming my soaps with a potato peeler for 3 years. I just received my planer from For Crafts Sake and I am in heaven. So much quicker and easier. I did 300 bars in no time.

Haha! On the planning- when I first saw the title I thought that's what it said until I opened it and read the post. Glad others made that connection too! I thought- oh good- someone else like me!

so much neat and professional looking with a planer, now i want one!

btw, what did you use to mix your ultramarine? as far as i know, ultramarines need to be mixed with water. i did it with an oil once, and it came up exactly like yours.

I have an acrylic one that's nice and sharp and clean up is a breeze. I think I got it from soap making essentials or something like that.

so much neat and professional looking with a planer, now i want one!

btw, what did you use to mix your ultramarine? as far as i know, ultramarines need to be mixed with water. i did it with an oil once, and it came up exactly like yours.

I got mine off Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/160228138/the-original-soap-planerbeveler-gives It was featured in this Soaping 101 video. I sent the video to the DH and asked if he thought he could make and he said to just buy it. I wasn't going to turn that green light down! [ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jP6qwLWTNto[/ame]

I do disperse mine in oil so I will try with water next time. Thanks for the tip :)

The difference is dramatic! I'm still using a potato peeler and bathing my soap. Who did you get it from?

See above :)

I have not seen a planer, how do you do it and keep the texture on top?

I don't, which was fine on these bars since it looks so much better without in my opinion.

And this is a lilac scented soap which is my favorite floral scent. Our neighbor has a lilac bush that hangs over our fence and I just can't wait for spring time to have that scent float in through the kitchen window!

I bought the same planer and LOVE it!!! I bought another one awhile back and it just didn't work that good. Took too much soap off. So when I watched the soaping101 video and saw the link I snatched one up. It was the fastest order I have ever received. Placed my order on a Saturday morning. She shipped it that same day and I got it on Monday! and she's many states away from me. I'd say that's great customer service. I use my old one just for soap curls now.

I bought the same planer and LOVE it!!! I bought another one awhile back and it just didn't work that good. Took too much soap off. So when I watched the soaping101 video and saw the link I snatched one up. It was the fastest order I have ever received. Placed my order on a Saturday morning. She shipped it that same day and I got it on Monday! and she's many states away from me. I'd say that's great customer service. I use my old one just for soap curls now.

I instantly fell in love with it too! And yes, very fast shipping! I need to get the curl thing down. Any suggestions or tutorials on that?

Wow, that looks fantastic, IPStephy! You sure did manage to uncover a beautiful diamond, hidden there in the rough. Beautiful!

Detailing soaps are my favourite part of soaping. Planning out and the actual soaping can be a bit worrying at times. What recipe, what colours to use, what design, will it rice or sieze. Will it come out as I hope, but as soon as the soaps are out of the mold and cut, whew! THEN the fun begins. Then I can sit ever so quietly and just give them all a little one-on-one time and attention and take each soap to the next level and make it all it can be. It's a very zen and satisfying part of the process. I love it and I love my planer too! :D

Mine was from For Crafts Sake and it's so easy. Just put your soap along the edge and slide it through. I still do the tops as I've found when they are textured or raised it doesn't work so well but it does all the sides and the bottom nicely.

Latest posts

Back